MacBook 2015 battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cdf, Oct 28, 2016.

1. cdf macrumors member

I've noticed that at 190 cycles my battery now holds 78% of its original capacity. Under Apple Care I would be eligible for a battery replacement. However, I am reluctant to proceed.

The battery is glued to the bottom case, and to replace the battery, I assume that Apple swaps the entire bottom case with a generic one, on which the machine's serial number is missing. That bothers me, especially for resale value.

To anybody that has had their battery replaced: am I correct in assuming that the bottom case gets swapped with a generic one?

2. cdf thread starter macrumors member

The lack of responses to my question is in some sense encouraging: it indicates that very few have actually had their battery replaced in their rMB!

3. iscajal macrumors member

Counter-anecdote: My first 2015MB has had a broken battery as well, with charge level dropping to <80% after the first few months. Seeing that it also had keyboard issues, they swapped the whole device, so the serial number print was correct after that. :D

If in doubt, I cant imagine a small stencil print on the bottom would affect resale, esp. if explained with a new battery.