MacBook 2015 for $1299 or MacBook Pro for $1299

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Seriouslee234, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Seriouslee234 macrumors newbie

I've come to realize that in stats, the MacBook Pro is far more superior that the MacBook 2015 at the price of $1299. The cost of the MacBook does seem quite high for its limited capabilities however upon examining the Pro's, I found myself more fit for the MacBook 2015. I am given a more PORTABLE laptop for stats that I can pretty much live with since I already do have a main computer that I use at home. And I do value the sleek look and the well-done design for people who travel or need a smaller laptop for school.

The question boils down, to, do I sacrifice an obviously better deal MacBook Pro for a Macbook2015?

2. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

3. DMT024 macrumors newbie

Given that there's only a 1.48 lb difference between the two devices, as well as the fact that the MBP will come with all the necessary ports for your full usage, (2 usb's, 1 hdmi, 2 thunderbolt, 1 sd slot), verses with the 12 inch macbook only coming with a headphone jack and then later needing to purchase the usb-c adapters, the MBP really is just an overall better buy. Sorry for the brief rant. Lol

IowaLynn gave you one of the greatest options in going for certified Apple refurb to save a couple bucks and if you do decide to take that route, go for a March 2015 model or later

4. phillyboy82 macrumors regular

phillyboy82

1.48 lb means a lot to some people :D

Depends on whether or not the OP needs the ports, too...

5. Seriouslee234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I plan to use my laptop more for just plan web browsing and I usually store everything in the Cloud now. I probably will use it for some simple photo editing, but mainly just note taking. The 1.48 lb does mean quite some bit of portability for me and the MacBook Pro's power is not really something I need. I also do like the MacBooks smaller size since if could fit on my desk in class. The only thing that pains me is still the obvious better deal for the MacBook Pro. I don't plan on buying refurbished either, but that was a good link. Thanks!

6. DMT024 macrumors newbie

Lol true, very true.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't be shy with Apple refurb. You get an year warranty, as you would on new, and those machines usually tend to be thoroughly looked over because they were returns.

That said, you mention room on your desk and for that, I would go MacBook. You also mentioned you store most everything on the cloud, so I really don't think you'd miss ports. Photo editing may be an issue if you want to hook your camera up to the laptop. How would you do that? Consider that as it is the only issue I see for you.

8. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Sometimes those "refurb" are just excess stock, latest. Mine came with 10.11.3 - I wish my new iPhone 6S had had 9.2.1 already as t would not import latest backup set created with 9.2.1 - and Apple doesn't see fit to update iOS foirst, or allow same migration later.

MacBook is so darn sleek, light and runs well... this replaced my 2006 Mac Pro 16GB w/ SSDs (ten years running)

9. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

10. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

256GB Gold (just like 6S+ and Mini4 ;)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core M
    Processor Speed: 1.1 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MB81.0164.B10
    SMC Version (system): 2.25f87

11. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Yeah some don't need to carry an Ipad Pro weight penalty with a Laptop for the OP's usage case

12. Seriouslee234 thread starter macrumors newbie

For me, I think I can buy a multi-adapter so I can plug multiple ports (I already have on actually, just a bit old). I also believe that the camera I have is a Nikon D700 and I believe it has Bluetooth functionality (never bother with that, might explore the Bluetooth a bit). The most heaviest thing I see myself doing with the MacBook is playing the Hearthstone (not really graphics intense, just a card game), watching movies, and editing a few photos. I'm a high school Sophomore so nothing really big.

Thanks Iowa, but I'm planning to go to the Apple Store to buy my MacBook lol. Those were some really good deals though.

13. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Refurbs are from the Apple store with new warranty, You can order instore if you like.

14. r6mile macrumors 6502

Test out the keyboard on the rMB though. I did the other day at an Apple Store and it felt a bit weird, though I'm sure I would get used to it eventually if I had one.

15. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Unless you need the much lighter weight there is zero reason to go for a Macbook.

On paper spec the MBP blows it out of the water.

However, if you don't need the spec and would prefer the smaller size, that's what you're paying for with the Macbook.

Figure out what is important to you, make your choice. Size reduction is not free. That's a feature you are paying for on the Macbook. Whether it is worth the sacrifice in battery life, cpu power, gpu power, ports, etc. is up to you.

Use both before deciding.

I did and i'm glad i went for the Pro.

16. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

17. geraldem macrumors regular

Great advice. I have struggled with the decision between the MB and MBP. The recent BH deal, I got the 1.2ghz 512gb MB for 1250.00. That was hard to pass up, but I really struggle with some of the differences from the MBP. Apple is in real need of some changes on their laptop line. No reason why we should not be able to have both...power with portability. it is 2016 after all..

18. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

hate the single port, but i think i'm going MB. the weight and size make a difference to me.

19. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

If you plan on keeping whatever you get for many years, keep future updates in mind, too. You may not need all the power of the MacBook Pro now, but in a few years when you've updated the OS a few times, the MacBook Pro is more likely to run smoother than the MacBook.

20. Seriouslee234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice! Does anyone with the current MB want to tell me their feelings about it (and over the MBP if you can)?

21. Umbrarian macrumors member

Shiockingly, I am still happy with my 2009 MBP. I did upgrade SSD. I would save money if looking ofr something new right now, realizing I do not need top of the line.

22. DSTOFEL, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I think you have enough input to make a decision. In your initial post, you acknowledged that the the MBP clearly wins in terms of "stats". You then went on to state that (paraphrased) "after examining pros of the MB 2015, I found myself more a fit for the MB 2015"....you're drawn to the sleek design and place a high value on portability". So, clearly, even thou the MBP wins in terms of pure technical specs, "technical specs" are not the driving force behind your decision.

I get it that if the RMB and MBP are a both priced at $1,299, it's tough to pull the trigger on the RMB....even if it's a better fit for you personally (i.e. as the technical specs of the MBP are clearly head and shoulders above the RMB in most respects). Price being equal, it's a tough call (for me anyway) to go for the RMB...even if it's a better fit.

However, at least in the USA, price has not been equal lately. B&H recently had the base RMB on sale for $999. They currently have the base 13 MBP priced at $1,169. I went for the base RMB at the $999 deal. Like you, I've got other computer's as my main devices (27 iMac and 15 MBP used for work). The RMB is not going to do any "heavy lifting" for me.....actually it's a gift for my wife.....but I think it will be perfect for her intended use for it. However, if the price between the RMB and MBP had been the same....a much tougher call!

23. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I would go with the MBP. Power, battery life, ports. The rMB is great, but I couldnt use that as my primary machine.

24. iUseMacBooks macrumors member

I think it comes down to personal preference and usage as well. For me, I'd love to have the rMBP with all the power so I could get into some video editing that I'm hesitant to throw at my current MacBook Air. Also, as stunning as the rMB looks, I'm personally not ready to just have one single port -- and USB-C at that -- but these are just my opinions. If the functionality of the rMB fits your needs, I'd say go for it. I've used it (briefly) at Best Buy and it seems to have great build quality. The screen is fantastic. But again, I think it's just a personal preference on the usage, etc. Good luck with the decision, OP.

25. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Someone mentioned use as a primary machine; i think that's a major factor in the decision.

if you have a desktop based mac, then the rMB probably makes more sense.

If you don't have a desktop based mac, then the Macbook Pro makes more sense.

If you have an iPad, then that also fits some of the roles a rMB would fill - use on the move, in aircraft, etc. If you use a lot of cloud storage, the lack of ports on the rMB might not be a big downer. Ditto if you have really good internet and high speed wifi (and a NAS) at home.

Neither machine is "better", it just really depends what you need/want and what complementary devices you have.

CPU power wise, for most people either machine will likely do the job. The big problem (for some) is the lack of ports. You give up an awful lot of flexibility there.