MacBook (2015) is Bendy

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Toadsfather, May 27, 2015.

1. Toadsfather macrumors member

Hi all,

I thought this would be of interest...

Yesterday I took delivery of a new 2015 MacBook Retina (1.2ghz/8/512).

I took it to work today for the first time. It was safely in a Snugg case (leather - see Amazon) in my work backpack. Backpack was otherwise empty. When I got on the train and placed the MacBook on the train table, I soon realised the base of the unit had become "wobbly". I assumed it was the train table, but when I got home and laid it on the dining room table I noticed same. The front right quadrant had become slightly elevated off the level surface of the table, by only about 2-3mm but enough to cause a distinct wobble on key press of keys on right hand side. I lifted the unit and gently applied pressure to correct the bend/warp which worked immediately.

So...it would seem the new MacBook can bend in a similar way to the iPhone 6plus can. However, I am concerned as no significant pressure had been applied to the unit during my journey in anyway; nor was it hot when I opened the case.

If it happens again I'll video the gap and wobble...anyone else noticed same?

Cheers

2. newellj macrumors 601

There have been a couple of reports of warped rMBs fresh from the box. I don't think I've seen any reports of rMBs getting bent in normal use. It probably came from Apple warped - return/exchange it.

3. Dayv macrumors 6502

Just adding my agreement, this is exactly what I was going to suggest as well.

4. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Mine has the same issue on occasion. The right palm rest will be elevated a mm or two above the surface and pressing on it can rock the laptop just ever so slightly. Some decent pressure and it levels out.

I keep mine in a backpack loaded with work tools, weighs 30-40lbs depending on the day. I'm not too worried about it, my 11" Air did the same thing and it lasted me a long time (I only replaced it due to the rMB being released, not due to damage or wear).

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

These things are flying out the manufacturing facilities and probably don't have time to settle and properly cure.

I would swap it. Don't wait at this point and risk being stuck with Apple repairing. You're entitled to a new machine.

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Usually this can be fixed at the genius bar by loosing the bottom screws, then realigning then tightening the screws. The same issue was very common on the MBA.

7. newellj macrumors 601

I believe there was also one report of one that had hinges so tight that unless the owner opened it from the center of the lid it would twist a little and rock on a flat surface.

8. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

The OP is on point here.

I've owned 2 11" MBAs in the past that would go out of alignment like this every month or two - fix was simple as the the OP illustrated, and is just as easy to induce a wobble with a slight twist.

9. thewusman macrumors regular

Got my rMB Tuesday and noticed a slight 1mm wobble on the left front side.

Fixed with the slightest amount of pressure applied on the opposite side by hand.

Not an issue for me unless it happens daily, which it does not seem to.

Chassis is light, guess it is bound to happen depending on how you handle or mishandle it.

Solid as apple products are, they're not built from kryptonite just yet.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

What? This thing is made from a single piece of solid metal!

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

But some of the guts are glued in. Like the battery, the biggest thing inside.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Yes, but the battery nor the glue makes the metal more bendy.

13. thadoggfather, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

some are warped. verified.

my current isn't, however

14. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Maybe not all of the rubber feet are exactly the same either.

I'm just glad that mine seems perfect.

15. blulegend macrumors regular

That was me. Look for my thread. I now have no issues with it. If I notice wobbling, I just fiddle with the hinge back and forth a wiggle and it's level again on the surface.

Don't get me wrong, the base is flexible though but I think it's unrelated to my concern.

16. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I'm not too surprised...I picked up a rMB at the Apple store, and was shocked that it actually felt flimsy to me, like it would bend.

This is from a long-time MBA owner. In fact, when I took apart my MBA once, I was shocked to see how thin the case was--it felt so solid!

Apple may be doing too much do shave off weight on this thing.

17. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Get real, Shocked I say :eek:

18. Toadsfather thread starter macrumors member

Conclusion

Interesting replies...I think on balance, as it's unlikely to a specific fault with this unit, I won't return it. Considering what a non-issue it was to rectify it myself it's probably not worth the hassle of taking it into an Apple Store (Apple Stores drive me insane...find them very irritating places tbh!). If it bends repeatedly and/or to a worse extent I will return it though.

Hasn't happened again, so perhaps it was a factory issue.

19. Fuchal macrumors 68020

My very first 11" Air had the same issue right out of the box. Apple replaced it. I'd guess they have to tune their tolerances slightly.

20. vegaspeed macrumors newbie

I brought mine in for this issue on Friday and The "Genius" says he has never seen something like this in 4 years of working at The Apple Store so it must be a problem I created. He mentioned that all products are thoroughly inspected before they leave China so all their products are pretty much perfection from the factory. Apparently this is a "cosmetic" issue in their eyes and I can go pound sand.

21. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I would mostly agree with the "genius"
    It is simply part of the design, and a quick process to gently "un-bend" your rMB to make it sit flat again.

Of course, if you are within your first 14 days from purchase, then you can return it, even for no reason at all.

22. sakabaro macrumors regular

+1 to just gently unbend it the other way. mine has the same issue and I think every one does.

23. vegaspeed macrumors newbie

No other display models exhibited the same behavior, so definitely not part of the design.

24. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Store models don't really get moved around too much.
    They won't be bent while just sitting there on display, eh?
    If you gently bend a store model rMB, they will do that, too (not that you SHOULD do that to store displays, but you could)
    I think what I meant to say was that the design would allow for a small amount of movement that way.
    Without that, you would run the risk of cracking your rMB. I'm thinking that would not be something that you want to do.. :D

25. ZipZap macrumors 601

Mine is a year old. Never had this issue. Even if common it is not right. That unit should sit flat. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy.

Take it in and get them to fix it. I would not bend it back myself. That correction might be obvious or go wrong, and then they can blame you.

Genius workers are far from it. There are 1000's of posts about poor quality control at the factory. I would call Apple directly.