Macbook 2015 mini review

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by metric152, May 23, 2015.

1. metric152 macrumors newbie

I currently have a macbook pro 2011 and carry it with me during commutes so I can work on side projects. I wanted something lighter as I walk about 1.5mi into work and it's 5.5lbs. I feel in love with the 2015 macbook because it's ultra light and has a great screen. I received it may 13th and have been using it for a week now. Here are some of my thoughts.

Use-case
    I'm using this for web development. Here is a list of programs I'm using. All of these are running at the same time. I think of this device as an iPad with a keyboard running OSX.
    • Zend Studio
    • Firefox
    • Safari
    • Tower
    • Evernote
    • Navicat
    • Paws

Pros
    • The battery will run all day with no problem.
    • The screen is beautiful.
    • It weights almost nothing. 2.03lbs.
    • The speakers are a very good. Comparable to the pro.
    • The trackpad is wonderful. It has great palm detection and if you didn't tell me it fakes the clicks I wouldn't know.
    • It starts up fast.

Mixed
    • The keyboard took some adjustment. After an hour or so of use I was fine.

Cons
    • You give up a lot of ports. This wasn't a big deal for my because I'm plugging devices into this. It's a secondary device for me.
    • It's not a power house. It's great a crunching text. I wouldn't try and run a lot of VMs on this.
    • The screen is small. I'm used to 15". I've gotten used to a smaller screen thanks to full screen apps.

I've read a few buyers remorse posts and was concerned I would regret the purchase. This hasn't been the case for me. I love it. I wish the screen was just 1" bigger but it still gets the job done.

2. roguefury macrumors member

roguefury

Super quick review.

Question: So when you say the 12 will be a secondary device, does that mean you're keeping the 15? If so, why?

I've been a single laptop guy (Mid 2014 MBA 11"), which seems to work well for me. The most complex thing I do is PowerPoint, which probably could use a bigger screen. Based on your listed apps, it sounds like you're also not doing heavy duty crunching, so I was wondering why make the 12 a secondary laptop.

3. metric152 thread starter macrumors newbie

Every great once in awhile I do play steam games and the 2011 mbp is more suited for graphic heavy tasks. I've also read that heavy photoshop or video editing tends to chug on the 2015 mb. That's why I'd like to keep the older laptop around.

4. roguefury macrumors member

roguefury

Makes sense. I'm still debating on whether to spring for the 2015 MB so soon after moving to the 2014 MBA 11"...most compelling (beyond the great screen) is the added ram. I made a mistake in not upgrading to 8gb on my current machine, and from time to time I can tell caching slows it down.

5. metric152 thread starter macrumors newbie

8gb is part of what sold me. If it only had 4 I wouldn't have given it a second look.

The ram and screen size is what kept me from purchasing an air for a long time. I was afraid the most recent air refresh would have a retina screen and I would end up buying one. Turns out they just reintroduced an old product and made it better.

6. Caged macrumors newbie

What about graphic design? Nothing too hardcore, just some Photoshop and Illustrator.
    I love the portability aspect of this but in Australia it's $1700ish which would also get me a rMBP base model. I have a tower of I built at home and a 6 year old laptop. I also have iPad Mini 2.

7. metric152 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got a cloud membership. I'll check it out and get back to you.