Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
i've had mine for almost a week. While in Safari I've gotten 3 total computer freezes. I think I've also had one in Mail.

Sometimes I can force quit, sometimes I can't. I have to hold down the power button.

I plan to call Apple later this week, but I was wonder if anyone else was seeing this?

I suppose a total reinstall of the system is in order. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend:(

Note, I still love this laptop. I'm hoping it is OS X, not some hardware problem.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
its a return.

i've had mine for almost a week. While in Safari I've gotten 3 total computer freezes. I think I've also had one in Mail.

Sometimes I can force quit, sometimes I can't. I have to hold down the power button.

I plan to call Apple later this week, but I was wonder if anyone else was seeing this?

I suppose a total reinstall of the system is in order. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend:(

Note, I still love this laptop. I'm hoping it is OS X, not some hardware problem.

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
I've had an issue with Safari freezing, though it's rare. It's also not confined to my macbook, as it's happened on my RiMac as well.

Possible Safari issue??

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Same.

I've had half a dozen freezes since I got it. Screen is frozen yet I can still move the mouse cursor. I have to hold down the power button and restart it. It happens in Safari but I'm not sure it's Safari related since I've been in Safari most of the time anyway.

I haven't had a freeze in awhile though so I'll give it another couple weeks.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Start with a full system reinstall. Apple will most likely have you do that anyway, and then you can rule out software, if it doesn't work.

thewusman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Try a complete OSX reinstall.

If it persists, likely to be bad system RAM or SSD controller/ NAND flash.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I always recommend starting with a clean install on a new Mac, and in this instance, 10.10.3 clean installed. I highly recommend DiskMaker X to get yourself up & running, if you're looking to keep it simple: http://diskmakerx.com

As for myself, I've been stable on a clean install of 10.10.3 from day one (my MacBook came with 10.10.2 preinstalled). I also try to avoid using the Mac migration tool when moving to a new computer, as I use this as an opportunity to "clean out the cobwebs" of my previous Mac, and I instead move my files and other pertinent information over manually.

Other than that, if you're still experiencing lock-ups on the Mac, definitely return it for another unit.

Last edited:

iscajal

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Same.

I've had half a dozen freezes since I got it. Screen is frozen yet I can still move the mouse cursor.

This used to happen on my 2012 rMBP 15" a lot, on Chrome. Mostly when creating webgl windows, or triggering a GPU switch (like when drawing a canvas elem). I always thought it's a nvidia-related GPU stack bug somewhere. Never in any other apps as far as I could see.

I "fixed" it by forcing integrated gpu only and it hasn't happened since. But if it's happening on the MB as well .. oooh.

JKNorth

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
Did you migrate or restore from another Mac? That can lead to problems, especially if you've done that for 2 or more computers in a row.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Did you migrate or restore from another Mac? That can lead to problems, especially if you've done that for 2 or more computers in a row.

No. I installed a few pieces of software. I did not migrate. I suppose a totally clean install should have been the way to go. But I'm trying a OSX reInstall. Then I'll burn it to the ground with a clean install if I have to. If that doesn't work it is time for Apple Care.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Thanks for the Help!

Well the reinstall of the OS X via the recovery drive seems to be working well. No freezes in the last couple of hours after surfing, and reading e-mail with windows open full. I also have Photo launched in the background.

I hope I haven't spoken too soon, but right now no issues with freezing.

Thanks all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.