Macbook 2015 slow compared to my 11 Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mikebuzzsaw, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

I'm coming from a 2012 Macbook Air 11 (main computer) with 8GB ram and 1.7 GHz (i5-3317U) dual-core Intel Core i5. I have it hooked to an external monitor and it runs beautiful for everything I need.

I was looking at picking up an iPad, but decided to go for the Macbook 2015. Yes I knew before buying my Macbook Gold it would be slow compared to my MBA and comparable to an ipad. But wow its INCREDIBLY SLOW. Filevault is turned off and just browsing Safari is a annoying. Just opening up a 2nd app can really slow down the comp and i get beachballs. I didn't even bother downloading Chrome because chrome is a resourcehog.

I love the form factor and I knew it be as slow as first generation Macbook Air, but I thought it would be tolerable. I mainly use the macbook gold for safari/youtube/VLC. Any tips on what to tweaks I can make to speed this puppy up? I found a great post by someone in another thread:

Any other suggestions?? Maybe I should return this MB and wait for next gen of the MB or new iPad.

2. freitz macrumors member

I don't have mine yet so I can't offer any "real" advise; but has it finished indexing. I heard the rMB are slow for first 12-24 hours after first boot up. Lots of background items going on. Maybe I am wrong on this but I tohught I read this somewhere.

3. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking that too so I left the comp on for a couple days. Its finished indexing for sure.

4. freitz macrumors member

Is the issue only file vault 2 or the entire system? You mention safari. Do you still have issues with file Vault 2 disabled?

5. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes Safari is still a crawl when I have more than 4 tabs opens. I disabled FileVault when I initially setup the computer.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

1.1? Am not seeing "Beachball`s" on my 1.2. any background applications running, the Core M is a sprinter, nor is it great at multitasking if an application doesn't have "App Nap" then I will close it, equally runny multiple apps shouldn't bring it to a halt' Typically I have Mail, Safari, Word/Excel and some small background application running and done see issue, other than the obvious that the Retina MacBook is not a powerful as my rMBP`s.

The problem is everyone has different usage patterns and application installed; I don't run any monitoring "Apps" on my Mac`s I keep the intrusion of AV to a minimum. Activity Monitor is the key to see what is consuming CPU cycles over time, equally this can take time to see the pattern.

Elevating the rear of the Notebook will help as this is where the majority of the heat is passively dissipated, using it on soft surfaces like a pillow etc. will only help to accelerate throttling.

Q-6

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Not seeing the same, however if you have in stalled Flash I would expect that level of performance.

Q-6

8. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Under settings, Built-Retina Display, I'm set at the smallest "more space" setting. Not sure if this effects the performance.

9. Queen6, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Very less I run my rMB at the same resolution 1440x900, equally reducing the scaled resolution will be less load on the GPU.

Q-6

10. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I have to say, I don't see this. I usually have 10-15 Safari tabs open (with Flash disabled), and then a host of other programs. I don't see any beachballs. I come from a 2012 MacBook Air 13, and I would say it's the MB is perhaps ever so slightly slower, compensated by the fact that I upgraded from 4Gb RAM to 8Gb RAM. Have you checked the Activity Monitor to see if anything is using a lot of CPU?

11. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Maybe you should try to do a fresh installation of OSX. As far as I can recall, it has solved similar problem.

That said I don't have the Macbook, but a maxed out MBA 11" and it is speeedy, so I could imagine that you have been spoiled ;-)

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I too have to say that I do not have that experience at all with the 1.2 model (and I have no reason to believe the 1.1 would be any different). I typically have more than 10 tabs open, and several other programs, and have not yet seen a single beach ball in the month I've had the computer. Right now I have more than 10 tabs open and am streaming a 1080p video to my AppleTV simultaneously and no issues.

13. nc11 macrumors member

Must admit that I've been battling with the same thought recently. I've been using the rMB for a month and a half now, and have been rather impressed at first. The size and form-factor, even the keyboard (funny enough!) have all been great. What let me down occasionally is performance.. I too get the beachball effect from time to time, mainly on safari and outlook. Everything else just feels a little slow. Coming from a maxed-out MBA, those occurrences are annoying and are causing me to re-think the long-term viability of the rMB. It is my main (and only) machine, and I use it everyday. Being a tech consultant, I don't run heavy workloads locally, but these occasional hiccups are an annoyance for sure. Still have 45 days or so to change my mind and go back to the MBA :)

14. freitz macrumors member

In my opinion I would never get this as a main machine but my uses are different then yours.

15. melmo macrumors newbie

Try installing the Intel Power Gadget and check that your machine is actually boosting the CPU frequency. I'm coming from a MacBook Pro, and I don't find it that bad (but it's not flawless).

16. KPOM macrumors G5

It will. Set it to the default and see if that helps. I had the 2011 MacBook Air (i7) and 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro, and I've been fine with the 1.2GHz MacBook. I primarily use Safari, Office, iTunes, but have even run Quicken in Windows 8.1 from Parallels Desktop 10 and it's been acceptable.

17. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I would return it and wait for the 2nd gen. rMB.

18. freitz macrumors member

I just got my 1.3 rMB 512 and I have a monster 6 core PC at home with 32gb of Memory and raid array's of ssd's. I do not have any of the above issues and I think I would notice with such a massive difference in raw compute power.

Right now I have lightroom and photoshop open, imail, 8 chrome windows all over three desktops and Im not lagging while loading up 245 new photos into lightroom.

I think something might be wrong with yours. Although I found no need to have file vault on from the get go.

19. speedbumpnv macrumors 6502

I have a 1.3 and have no issue what so ever. Granted I was coming from an 11" Core2 MBA so perhaps my point of view is skewed a little. I run lots of tabs in Safari, multiple desktop spaces, etc...

20. freitz macrumors member

I would take it back to the store and ask them to look at it with you something differently seems off.

21. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Two things the user choice of setup/software, or Apple has inconsistencies with the thermal interface. I have no doubt some are seeing issues, equally others are not, worst case both negative scenarios.

Personally I am pleasantly surprised with the performance of my 1.2 MacBook, equally didn't go in with the expectation that it can perform to the same level as my Retina pro`s. Opeing apps and basic operation it`s best described as "sanppy" however if you load up the CPU thermal throttling is "just around the corner"

I generally prefer to raise the rear of my portable Mac`s predominantly for ergonomics, equally this does also help passively cooled MacBook disappear heat far more efficiently.

Q-6

22. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I figured out what the problem was. My Photo Library was still downloading all the thumbnails of my entire library for the past week and just completed. After that, the mac has speed up significantly.

23. Mannaerts macrumors newbie

Didn't wanna start a new thread but i have a MBA 13" Late 2010 1.86GHz C2D and i was wondering if i switch to a rMB will i be buying hardware-wise a better mac? I Intend to use the rMB for what it's made for; email, browsing, chatting etc. Only maybe once or twice some Photoshop. Just wanted to know if i will see any improvements on speed.

Thx

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, the Macbook should feel considerably faster to you.

25. freitz macrumors member

I knew something didn't seem right glad you figured it out.