Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
watch this video

How the hell can this be on a £3000 laptop why did i sell my 2015 one :(

Reactions: mahcus36

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You do realize, they are solid state trackpads and use Force Touch right...? So thats a Taptic Engine making the noise. Because the trackpad is so much wider, the Taptic Engine has to spread the haptic feedback over a larger area, making it a more hallow sound.

Reactions: mahcus36

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
You do realize, they are solid state trackpads and use Force Touch right...? So thats a Taptic Engine making the noise. Because the trackpad is so much wider, the Taptic Engine has to spread the haptic feedback over a larger area, making it a more hallow sound.
yeah i know thats what im saying the sound is horrible the tatic engine is massive worse and they toke off silent clicking which was a dream on the 2015

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
yeah i know thats what im saying the sound is horrible the tatic engine is massive worse and they toke off silent clicking which was a dream on the 2015

The trackpad is 2x larger. Its a huge surface area, there will be sound differences. It doesn't have as much rigidness of the the laptop frame. Its like tapping a full glass compared to a half empty glass.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai

I can barely hear mine, very slight vibration sound but there isn't this huge audible 'CLICK' or anything. I came from a 2011 MBP, that made a click sound. This is barely noticeable.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
The trackpad is 2x larger. Its a huge surface area, there will be sound differences. It doesn't have as much rigidness of the the laptop frame. Its like tapping a full glass compared to a half empty glass.
Why not have silent click like 2015 i got used to that

Pardus

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
really dude? come on... if that bothers you, I would hate to see how you react when they switch brands of cream at starbucks.

You should really delete this thread, total clickbait on a non-issue and you are going to waste everyone else's valuable time. 2 minutes of my life i won't get back.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
really dude? come on... if that bothers you, I would hate to see how you react when they switch brands of cream at starbucks.

You should really delete this thread, total clickbait on a non-issue and you are going to waste everyone else's valuable time. 2 minutes of my life i won't get back.
Firstly its a big thing to hear everytime i use my mac maybe it doesnt bother you but it does me
[doublepost=1480440186][/doublepost]
Not available on the new Macs.

Sounds to me like you bought the new Mac blindly, instead of doing research first, and trying it out in the store.
Why would i think it would be taken off the new one, why would i think the sound is gonna be bad come on im a apple fan and spent lots on this mac the sound doesnt feel right im not first one to say this

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Firstly its a big thing to hear everytime i use my mac maybe it doesnt bother you but it does me
[doublepost=1480440186][/doublepost]
Why would i think it would be taken off the new one, why would i think the sound is gonna be bad come on im a apple fan and spent lots on this mac the sound doesnt feel right im not first one to say this
I read your posts and all the things you hate / strongly dislike about your new Mac. You should return it and get something you will like. If you had done your research instead of buying blind, you wouldn't be sitting there unhappy with so many things about your new Mac. You made assumptions. You can't blame Apple for your being mad and disappointed. You are to blame for those feelings,

Knowledge aptly applied is power.

D_Apple

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
execution of the sound is unpolished, i enabled "tap to click" which automatically moves FT click pressure to light and now it's silent on normal clicking and more tolerable during FT.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I read your posts and all the things you hate / strongly dislike about your new Mac. You should return it and get something you will like. If you had done your research instead of buying blind, you wouldn't be sitting there unhappy with so many things about your new Mac. You made assumptions. You can't blame Apple for your being mad and disappointed. You are to blame for those feelings,

Knowledge aptly applied is power.
What are you on about cause i done research i didnt just spend £3000 for nothing i loved my 2015 macbook and like new tech and upgrades so i didnt think this one would be worse in some areas did i

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Maybe the sound in the video doesn't illustrate the problem well, but it sounds the same to me. The sounds of a click seems like a real nitpick.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
execution of the sound is unpolished, i enabled "tap to click" which automatically moves FT click pressure to light and now it's silent on normal clicking and more tolerable during FT.

That's what I did as well. I can ignore the sound, the problem is that the trackpad sometimes doesn't register things correctly, such as gestures

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Maybe the sound in the video doesn't illustrate the problem well, but it sounds the same to me. The sounds of a click seems like a real nitpick.

I can hear a slight difference but the trackpad click on my 15" 2016 doesn't sound bad to me and is not nearly as loud as the trackpad on my 2012 rMBP.

Rabs1984

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2017
watch this video

How the hell can this be on a £3000 laptop why did i sell my 2015 one :(

Hi. So I had the Macbook air from 2013 for a few years. Got the 2015 version and it was a lemon. Just got the newest Macbook air today. It's great. But now the clicking on the Trackpad is 4x louder. It's driving me crazy every time I click. Everything else is silent and amazing. Then CLICK! Does anyone know of a hack where this can be dampened? Even by opening it up? Need some reprieve.
[doublepost=1489525425][/doublepost]

Hi Mlrollin91. I just got a new Macbook Air 2016. The 2015 version of the Track Pad clicking mechanics definately was quieter. This louder click is driving me crazy. Do yo think there is any hack where by opening the computer one could dampen the sound. I need a reprieve. Everything else about the mac is insanely quiet, it's just that one loud click during Click and Drag. Doh! Help. :)

Branflaakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2016
Guys, OP is right. It really is NOT because the trackpad is larger. You guys would think it is logically, but unless you've really had to exchange yours, then don't assume that's the actual cause. I've exchanged 3 macbook pros BECAUSE of this "cheap hollow sound". My first touchbar 13" had a nice solid click, JUST like the 2015 model, but the fans turned on during almost any task, so I exchanged it. The touchbar 13" I had after it had the exact cheap hollow sound shown in the video, so I exchanged it for another one with a cheap, hollow sound. Then, my current touchbar 13" I use right now, has the same solid, deep click as my first touchbar model, as well as the 2015 models.

I don't necessarily think it is a defect, per-se, rather, maybe Apple has different manufacturers for its haptic feedback engine.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Hi. So I had the Macbook air from 2013 for a few years. Got the 2015 version and it was a lemon. Just got the newest Macbook air today. It's great. But now the clicking on the Trackpad is 4x louder. It's driving me crazy every time I click. Everything else is silent and amazing. Then CLICK! Does anyone know of a hack where this can be dampened? Even by opening it up? Need some reprieve.
[doublepost=1489525425][/doublepost]

Hi Mlrollin91. I just got a new Macbook Air 2016. The 2015 version of the Track Pad clicking mechanics definately was quieter. This louder click is driving me crazy. Do yo think there is any hack where by opening the computer one could dampen the sound. I need a reprieve. Everything else about the mac is insanely quiet, it's just that one loud click during Click and Drag. Doh! Help. :)

MacBook Airs don't use the solid state trackpad. Just a regular trackpad. I would highly suggest not opening the machine. It will void warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.