MacBook 2016 LG 27UD68 4k@60hz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pugxiwawa, Nov 27, 2016.

1. pugxiwawa macrumors newbie

I've searched around the net and google but could not find the definitive answer to how to run 2016 rm with 4k@60hz on the new LG 27UD68 4K monitor that i just picked up. I'm using Apple Digital AV Multiport adapter and connecting to the monitor using the included HDMI 2.0 cable, but the best I can get is 4k@30hz, which is very laggy on the monitor this size. From 9to5mac article I'm sure this laptop is capable of driving the monitor at 4k@60hz but I'm not seeing how they connect the laptop. Seems like the max refresh rate from the Apple Digital DV Multiport adapter is only at 30hz. Can someone who have successfully get 4k@60hz working share the type of cable/connections that I need to make and buy? Do I need to get a single USB C to Display Port 1.2 cable or USB C to HDMI 2.0 cable (bypass Apple adapter) in order to achieve 4k@60hz? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

3. pugxiwawa thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion. Would love to get 27UD88 but it costs 2x over UD68 :). I'll give the adapter a try. Thanks again!

4. blesss macrumors newbie

5. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

You can charge at the same time, as long as you're using the 27UD88 model (USB-C).

6. blesss macrumors newbie

i was referring to the adaptor you linked him... no way to charge while using that right?

7. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Not using that adapter. However, I have found a way to get 4K @ 60Hz and charge the MacBook with the 27UD68 model. You'd need the CalDigit USB-C hub. That is $150, and needs a firmware flash to enable 4K 60Hz out of either DP or HDMI, but that of course knocks down the USB to 2.0. But you do get charging, along with ethernet, audio in/out, etc.

8. edgaryp macrumors newbie

Wondering if you found adaptor yet? I got the 27UD68 today and looking for the solution as well. I found this product CSV-1534 from Club3D, it supports 4k at 60hz and USB-C charging delivery at the same time. Does anyone know anything about this adaptor?

9. pugxiwawa thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got this cable today from Newegg but it's still not outputting 60Hz. Even worse, there's occasional flicker with screen turning on and off. I think I've given up my hope for now and both the monitor and the cable are going back...Thanks for your help.

10. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

FYI in regards to the screen flickering this is a known issue with 2016 MBs in particular. Any external display when using Apple USB-C HDMI adapter or any other cable solution is known to cause screen flickering. This is a known, Apple acknowledged issue however to my knowledge there is still not a known fix for the flickering, which can range from multiple times a minute to maybe once or twice is a span of a few hours.

11. pugxiwawa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info and confirmation. The monitor and cable are going back...