macbook 2016 more ram or more storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gualwer, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Gualwer macrumors regular

So I'm kind on the fance now. I know I want the MacBook Pro 2016 no touch bar, but I can't decide if I should upgrade the ram or the storage. I honestly don't do much on it other than internet browsing, email, and play wow every now and then. I also do some photoshop, and iMovie but I don't do this too often. I currently have a MacBook Air 2013 with 4Gb ram and 256Gb. The reason I'm tempted to get more storage instead of ram is because I haven't had any issues with just 4Gb ram, wow runs pretty good although my MacBook Air does get a bit hot, but it runs fine. I'm always needing space tho. I currently have only 30gb left. In my case, would it be a smart decision to get more storage instead of ram?

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I store most data on the fastest connection out of the machine, as do I with my backups.
    And I love having the ram maxed out for best app performance.

3. iizmoo macrumors 6502

If you're going to keep it a while, why not bump up both? I'm going from 2013MBA 8/256 to no touch bar 16/512 . If a lot of your storage is photos, might also want to look into iphotos optimize cloud storage.

For you current machine, you know you can get a 128 or 256 SDXC card PNY StorEdge or others and expand storage for files. I use a 128 and leave my iphotos library in there to save space on the ssd.