MacBook 2016 vs MacBook Pro 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dilinger, Jul 1, 2016.

1. dilinger macrumors newbie

Asking for some insight here from owners..

I currently run on a 2010 13'' MacBook Pro (Non-Retina) with
    2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (Boot Disk)
    Hitachi 320GB (Original disk with Secondary usage replacing optical disk)
    Battery Replace last year.

Now i am tired of waiting for the New 2016 redesigned MBP.
    Even if its released September is will be available for buy on October.

So i am wondering if any of you has stepped from an 2010 MBP to a 2016 MacBook.

I am talking for the M5 512GB 2016 model.

My mainly use is:

1. Chrome (Multiple tabs 7-15), dealing mainly with online website administrative work (Managing an eshop).
    2. Canva or pixlr or Pixelnator for some photo/marketing material image editing. (Mostly 2000X4000 pixels).
    3. Parallels (not often though), to connect to my Business CRM.
    4. Web Pages (sometimges heavy).
    5. CCTV Monitoring Platform (could be up to 64 cams).
    6. A lot of Excel Spreadsheets / Word docs / Powerpoint (light) Presentations. Sometimes open all together.
    7. A lot of email reading/managing with heavy attachments (mb's), and MULTIPLE email accounts (up to 12), through Apple MAIL APP...

What do you think in terms of Performance?
    Will 2016 Macbook be better/faster than my 2010 Macbook Pro (spec'ed as above)?
    And what about the smaller screen size of the the Macbook? Will it be tiring coming from the 13'' ?

I have tested it in Apple store, but not in my real life usage conditions (opening all my apps at the same time), and not for long time, as i will do everyday.

Please note that the current Macbook Pro is out of the question for me, as i never buy end of cycle models.

I will really appreciate your input, especially if you come from the same situation as i do.

Many thanks,
    Best,
    George.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

The jump from the Core 2 Duo to the Core m5 will be noticeable. I don't think you'll have an issue. My mom uses a 2009 15" MacBook Pro and a 12" 2015 MacBook fairly interchangeably.

3. dilinger thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2010) Intel Core 2 Duo P8800 2660 MHz (2 cores)
    Geekbench score 2647

Macbook (12-inch Early 2016) m5-6y54 1200 Mhz (2 cores)
    Geekbench score 5889

Huge gap in performance, more than double. If you were fine doing the stuff you listed on your old MBP 2010, the new rMB12 2016 would be more than enough. Your old MBP has a bigger screen, but the rMB12 has higher resolution so you actually get more work space. Up to you if you feel the 12" is too small and need to sit closer.

5. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Get the new MacBook Pro. It'll be worth waiting for.

6. dilinger thread starter macrumors newbie

Waiting for how much more....?????

7. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I know it sounds like a long time but it looks like it will be 4 months maximum, like you said September/October. It can be really hard waiting, especially if you feel you are in desperate need of an update. It is much better than the MacBook and will be able to handle that load better than a 2016 rMB (even though both would be an upgrade over the 2010 MBP). The rMB makes a load of compromises that aren't really there on the 2016 rMBPs.

8. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Does the OP really need the next new more powerful rMBP? The rMB already has more than enough juice for the tasks listed?

9. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I think it would be smoother. The 2016 rMP can still have issues with loads such as the one stated.

10. dilinger thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that point and it's true .

I know that MPB16 will give me much more potential on being faster in my work.

Plus it will handle my emails smoother (more than 20.000 emails), to be available at a glance for reference.

The only downside for waiting, is that my current Mac runs almost constantly Above 60 celcius, becomes very hot to use and feels uncomfortable on my knees plus makes too much fan noise...

I am not sure I can last...

11. drewjonn, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016

drewjonn macrumors regular

The 12" should be fine. At your position, I wouldn't wait and grab myself one from the store immediately. You can still run those apps you mentioned smoothly on your current Macbook if you install an SSD on it, let alone upgrading to the M5 core rMB, so what's the point of waiting?

The rMBP will be faster but you're going to notice a huge change from that upgrade, plus the rMB looks really really nice.

12. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Seems like you already answered your own question.

rMB12 now or rMBP later both will be at least 2x faster than what you have now.

13. Appleaker, Jul 3, 2016

Appleaker macrumors 68000

if you get it now you could regret it in a few months. I've been in a similar position and I think the performance will be worth the wait in the end. Even though either one will be faster, the rMB thermal throttles a lot more. Also, as you said the new MBP will be much faster and will cope with your load. There will be noticeable better performance over the rMB, which is years behind. It is not just the CPU that is more powerful, it is the RAM and storage.
    Parallel applications will run much more smoothly along with the heavy load that you do including photo editing where it will have more pixels and retain the 13" screen size you use right now. I think the new MBP will be better value than buying the rMB right now and you can also configure it to have 16GB RAM which looks like it would be useful in your scenario.

14. dilinger thread starter macrumors newbie

Totally agree with you.
    But why do you say that the rMB is years behind?
    And why will the rMBP RAM be faster that the rMB?
    Of course i would opt for the 16bg plus 1TB ssd, so that alone will bring it to another class..

15. KPOM macrumors G5

It isn't "years behind" as it is the most current version of the Core M. That said, the "standard" Core processors support somewhat faster RAM than the Core M processors. Plus they are likely to use 4 PCIe channels instead of 2, which would enable faster SSDs. That said, the performance impact of both are relatively small. The bigger difference will be that the fan will enable the rMBP processor to remain at Turbo Boost speeds for longer.

16. lympero, Jul 3, 2016

lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

Definitely less than a year :D

Just kidding...anyway I think that the most significant disadvantage of the MacBook is the lack of ports.

17. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I said the rMB is years behind because it is. As for the Core M version, release date does not determine performance. The rMB will into reach the CPU and graphical performance of the new MBs for another few years. Not only that, but it is behind in other areas such as the port speed, FaceTime camera, storage speed, and RAM. The RAM will likely be DDR4 in the new MacBook pros which is faster and runs at a higher clock speed. Core Ms are not there yet in my opinion, as was the case with the 15W Core processors around the time of their introduction. Similarly, I don't think the MacBook line is complete yet and the new MacBook Pros should be more of a complete package.

18. jmj macrumors member

I came from an early 2011 MBP with an updated SSD but only 4 GB of RAM. Had to replace it after an unfortunate coffee spill or I would still be using it.

The general performance is faster but not something I'm blow away by. (Nothing like going from a 3-4 year old iPhone to a new one.) Things like web browsing feel the same to me, but YMMV.

Still loving this little guy.

19. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I think you're going to regret the drop in storage.
    Especially if you use Parallels.

20. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

George

My wife has the same MBP as you except it still has the spinning drive. I have the 2015 1.2 rMB and in terms of screen quality, boot speeds and initial loading of programs the 12" rMB outperforms the 2010 MBP substantially. Now your ssd drive may bring it up to a similar boot and loading times, but the 13" screen, weight and battery still don't measure up to the rMB.

I enjoy the portability and frankly don't miss all the ports.

In the end unless you are going to do some really serious rendering of video and graphics the latest rMB will be a noticeable improvement over your current MacBook.

21. dilinger thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am searching everyday for rumors.... But no new rumors... That makes the launching horizon longer...

22. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Take a sip of cold water, Take a deep Breath and breathe a sigh of relief, 110% this year we will see a new addition to the rMBP. Only thing remains to be seen is starting September when will it be ? Will it be September alongside the iPhone 7 or will it be a special, seperate announcement in October or November. It is imminent and almost certain this year, the only question is exactly which month ?

23. dilinger thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice question ....
    Though I ve been doing this question since 2015...LOL

24. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

None of the sites had covered this before, this time everyone 9t05, Macrumors, theverge, everyone has got it covered. Will happen. Amen !