MacBook 2017 - 4K@60Hz AND charging?

Hiko0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
According to Apple's product page on the new 2017 MacBook, it's capable to drive a 4K Display with 60 Hz. However, USB-C Hubs limits the output to 4K@30Hz. Is there any adapter out there that leads the DisplayPort's signal through and allows to plug in a USB-C cable just for charging the MacBook? The LG UltraFine Display does that internally. But I'm looking for an adapter to be more flexible.

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
Acer H277HU kmipuz 27-Inch does the job and have 2 USB 3.0 ports on the back as the hub.

I knew this from a YouTube video:
The Perfect Macbook Setup

---- Edit ---

Just FYI, according to amazon reviews, the USB type-c on Acer H277HU does not compatible with all 2017 Macs - includes iMac, MacBook Pro, rMB .

Last edited:

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
CalDigit USB-C dock with the 4K@60Hz firmware.

(Note 4K@60Hz means any additional data ports are limited to USB 2 speeds.)

Hiko0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Acer H277HU kmipuz 27-Inch does the job and have 2 USB 3.0 ports on the back as the hub.

I knew this from a YouTube video:
The Perfect Macbook Setup
Thanks, but I think you've missed my point. I am not looking for a 1440p Monitor with an integrated USB-Hub. I am looking for a USB-Adapter to be more flexible when it comes to connecting my new MB to a 4K Monitor @ 60Hz.

CalDigit USB-C dock with the 4K@60Hz firmware.

(Note 4K@60Hz means any additional data ports are limited to USB 2 speeds.)
Thanks. The Dock is quite expensive for my usage scenario. I might actually consider buying a USB-C 4K Monitor right away, then.

ThosS

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
I am using a HyperDrive USB-C adapter that does Mini Displayport 4k at 60HZ (by reducing the USB speed). I'm attaching the dock to my Macbook via a male/female USB-C extension lead because I don't like the wobbly fit of the adapter straight into the Macbook. I'm using an LG 4K monitor (that has a USB-C port but that port doesn't do 4K at 60HZ). They HyperDrive dock has worked fine for me so far and is small and pretty cheap. It's the ONLY USB-C adapter/hub, with charging, that I've found that supports 4K at 60HZ.

apiro

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
I am using a HyperDrive USB-C adapter that does Mini Displayport 4k at 60HZ (by reducing the USB speed). I'm attaching the dock to my Macbook via a male/female USB-C extension lead because I don't like the wobbly fit of the adapter straight into the Macbook. I'm using an LG 4K monitor (that has a USB-C port but that port doesn't do 4K at 60HZ). They HyperDrive dock has worked fine for me so far and is small and pretty cheap. It's the ONLY USB-C adapter/hub, with charging, that I've found that supports 4K at 60HZ.
Second this. Have HyperDrive as well.

@ThosS could you link the USB-C male/female extension lead please? I was unable to find it anywhere.