MacBook 2017 and external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hugocb, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Hugocb macrumors newbie

Hi.

Sorry for my Enhlish.

I currently use an external monitor via Thunderbolt usb. My problem is that the temperature of the computer increases significantly when the monitor is connected. This has never happened to me with Windows computers and hdmi ports.

I have visited many pages and forums, and it seems that the temperature problem grows depending on the number of monitors. Any solution? Will I have to go back to Windows?

2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

What monitor is it? What resolution?

What temperate does the MacBook run at?

I'm guessing it's probably normal that a fanless laptop driving a 4k monitor is running a little hot, probably nothing to worry about.

3. Hugocb thread starter macrumors newbie

Normally, without external monitor, between 30c and 40c. With monitor connected (Lg 24 inches fullhd), between 40c and 50c (celcious).

Is a normal monitor with full HD resolution.

4. Honza1 macrumors regular

This is normal and expected (at least I DO expect it). I have 2017 MBP and when I connect external monitor, discrete graphic card is used and temperature goes up. Simple physics, more work needed, more heat generated. Power on my Radeon discrete GPU is reported as 10 - 12 W when used, it will heat up...
    Interesting observation: Temperature is lower at work where I have one 4k monitor + MBP display running than at home, where I have two HD monitors and MBP display running, even though number of pixels on 4k display is higher than two HD displays.

5. Hugocb thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that other Windows computers have the ability to disable the main screen and use external monitors without major power consumption and processor..

In my opinion, It seems very sad to me that Apple has not thought about this.

6. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

You can disable the main screen by closing the MacBook to make it run in clamshell mode if you want.

7. Hugocb thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently it can be done with this method, what I do not understand is if one of the screens is disabled, the power consumption and processor increases.

With the main screen off, and the external display turned on, power consumption and processor performance are affected.

This is what I do not understand, and I think it does not happen in windows computers. Without knowing exactly the reason, I think everything is related to the new Thunderbolt ports and their energy management.

8. vemac575 macrumors regular

vemac575

Hm... I use three and sometimes four monitors at once, wth the upgraded MBPtb and mine stays as cool as it would with 1. Maybe it's because I have it go into an OWC TB3 Dock, and from that, the HDMI to one monitor and the MDP into a dual monitor card and out into two monitors. I'm sure that probably helps, but I also know the older Mac gets hot with just one. So in my experience, the TB3/USB C is better. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that you're comparing it to a PC laptop though, and if it IS the USB C, that would imply that PC laptops with USB C would also get hotter. So I guess, if this is your belief, you might want to stick to any kond of laptop with no USB C.

9. Hugocb thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm really quite surprised with this problem. Today, after turning on my macbook, with the external monitor connected, I see that the temperature does not exceed 30C. This is the usual temperature without external monitor.

The only thing different about other occasions, is that the monitor has been turned off a couple of times before entering the home screen.

The consumptions are excellent and the temperature is perfect.

But ... How the hell did I do it?

I have no idea.

10. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

There was probably something demanding running while you were using the monitor.

11. Honza1 macrumors regular

I have noticed few times, that my fans go up in speed and noise (result of heating up) totally unrelated to number of displays or even my actions. Check processes - and note, that sometimes there is lag between fans and the process. What I mean that sometimes process eats a lot of cpu for some time but by the time fans spin up, the process may be back at idle.
    Anyway, to my surprise App Store seems to require surprising amount of cpu. Sometime Mail goes haywire and eats unbelievable amount of cpu for some time. So it is possible the monitor related heat was not related to graphic card, but to what software you use on the monitor. I tend to load my MBP MUCH more with my 4k monitor than with my two HD monitors. Simply because much more fits in front of me. Unfair to blame monitor or graphic card ;-)

12. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

Calm down. You're MacBook Pro can reach 100 degrees celsius before they shut down. When connected to an external display, you're dedicated graphics card gets enabled, rising the temperature. Mine is around 60-67 celsius under heavy tasks connected to a 4K external display, well under the limit of 100 celsius.

There is no perfect temperature. If your computer is always in the 30 celsius area, well, you are not using your computer. The new 2016/2017 are one of the coolest computers in the history of MacBooks, so take it easy and enjoy it without constantly monitoring temps. You should only pay attention to temps if you're computer is becoming slow or suddenly shut downs.

13. Hugocb thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Doitdada.

I tell you the truth. Right now, the temperature of my computer is 34C. My open apps, Chrome (2), Airmail, Fanny App Widget, Dropbox, Unsplash Wallpapers, and Spotify.

Well, I think it's a perfect temperature for so few applications .. But the incomprehensible thing for me is the following:

I power on the Macbook, and after several minutes doing nothing ... the temperature is 43C.

Ok .. Missed by this, I do the following: I open the macbook (power on), I disconnect the monitor, I wait for the temperature to drop to 30-35C, I reconnect the monitor .. and .. Woala !!! With the monitor connected, the temperature is constant .. 33-36C.

If I do not do this, the temperature would rise to 50 almost without doing anything.

The performance of the computer is always good, and I do not complain about anything, but the management of the temperature and power of the macbook is disastrous, at least in my case.

Now, when I write this, the temperature has dropped to 31C .. :D

Hilarious.

14. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

Get a job as a security guard. It will pay you alot more than just monitoring the temps of your computer.

15. Hugocb thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, i work as computer technician.. I usually observe these things.. Sorry for that.

16. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

Understand, but I feel temperature is only a concern if you are experiencing excessive fan noise or it has to clock down because of speed.

I can't find anywhere in this post what kind of model you have.

17. Hugocb thread starter macrumors newbie

After several days of temperature rise for no reason, and problems starting with external monitor connected, it seems that the problem has been solved completely downgrading from 13.10.4 to 13.10.1.

Initially, the problems came with the update to 13.10.4. I restored the whole system without downgrade, but the complete solution is downgrade to 13.10.1, at least in my case.

From what I've read in some forums, it seems that some features related to external monitors or the "Duet Display" do not work quite well.

It is possible that my USB-C to HDMI adapters were not very compatible with 13.10.4.

The temperature continues to rise a little with external monitor, but at least it is more logical and I have no problems when starting.