Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grisjuan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2009
The last time I bought low-voltage processor was several years ago. It couldn't handler running as the presenter when teaching online using something like GoToMeeting. The screen sharing and audio was just too much for it - the CPU would sit at 100% and the whole machine would lock up.

Have any of you tried this with the new 2017 MacBook? I would likely go with i7/16GB to minimize the risk of having a problem, but I'd feel more confident if I hear some of you have done it successfully :)

Thank you!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm curious. What system had problems with this? I haven't used it, but judging by description it doesn't seem that taxing, at least not in 2017 terms.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, GoToMeeting works. I use it sometimes to collaborate and present to my colleagues whenever I'm working from home. But if you have a 4K display plugged in as well and you do screen sharing, do be aware that things will slow to a crawl, though they won't exactly freeze up that much. The internal display of the MacBook by itself is cool, though.

at0m

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
I use zoom and GTM with my 2015 rMB 1.2Ghz/8GB it runs fine in both attendee and presenter mode. Zoom beats up the CPU quite a bit with the webcam on. It does this on my 2015 rMBP 13" as well so it's not unique to the rMB :)

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
I have the 2017 MB, with the lowly m3. Handles zoom like a champ. Have also used Citrix "gotomypc" to log into my work desktop. No problem. While I haven't used goto meeting, I can't imagine there'd be an issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.