Macbook 2017 Update: March, April, WWDC, Q3?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by - rob -, Mar 25, 2017.

?

When will 2017 Macbook be released?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2017.
  1. April

    56.3%
  2. WWDC

    15.6%
  3. Q3

    28.1%
  1. - rob - macrumors regular

    - rob -

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Oakland, CA
    #1
    I had hoped we were going to see an update to the Macbook alongside the iPad line updates in March. Now I'm hoping for April.

    But I had read that we should have gotten an update about an April event by now. Others have mentioned that WWDC has become a software-only launch event these days. There are articles suggesting a Q3 launch as well.

    Supposedly the new macbooks are entering mass-production now. So what's the story here, are we looking at a press release in April, a return to HW release at WWDC? Could a delay to Q3 be possible for some reason?
     
  2. Dave245 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #2
    If they are entering production now then it could be that they are given a small silent update in April, it doesn't mean they need an event especially for a processor update and the rumoured 16GB Ram option.
     
  3. xb2003 macrumors 6502

    xb2003

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2016
    Location:
    MO
    #3
    It's all speculation, but I'd say the odds of anybody actually getting their hands on a 2017 MBP before Q4 of this year are pretty slim.
     
  4. - rob - thread starter macrumors regular

    - rob -

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Oakland, CA
    #4
    This question is focused on the 12" MacBook
     
  5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

    bigjnyc

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #5
    Small silent update with a press release in April like last year
     
  6. xb2003 macrumors 6502

    xb2003

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2016
    Location:
    MO
    #6
    You are correct, I was in the wrong forum. Let me just wonder back over to the MBP forum.
     
  7. - rob - thread starter macrumors regular

    - rob -

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Oakland, CA
    #7
    Off with you
     
  8. icymountain macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2006
    #8
    A dramatic form change (like two USB-c) seems unlikely.

    Hopefully, we see an update of "slightly more than the proc", with 16Gb option, keyboard from the new MBPr (I tried them side by side at the Apple store the other day and definitely noticed the difference), and a couple of other things which would make a promising design a really mature laptop like previous Apple laptops have evolved to. Though, if that happens, I fear it will be after April.

    So my uneducated guess is either silent update in April (but then maybe not worth the wait, unless prices are lowered a bit this time), or more thorough update a bit later.
     
  9. ascender macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    #9
    I don't expect anything more than a spec bump for this one, particularly if Apple are going to continue down this line of having their "normal" devices and then the "pro" devices. I genuinely don't know what they could do to improve the form factor - like their other laptops and other iMacs, other companies often try to copy their designs and end up failing miserably - I don't think the rMB design has aged at all.

    The current model is still fast enough for anything most users will throw at it, but I get the nervousness about buying something which might be replaced soon.

    Its already got USB-C, so maybe the keyboard will be updated to the new MBP one - they're very similar, but you can definitely feel the difference.

    I think like the current iMacs, if you need one, buy one now, otherwise you can keep holding out, but who knows for how many months?
     
  10. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    Location:
    Chicago
    #10
    Just wait and if there's no updates by May and you have to have one now, buy a used one. That way, even if new ones come out you'll have gotten a good deal and maybe won't lose much or anything selling it so you can get the latest.
     
  11. end4ee macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2017
    #11
    I wish they added Touch ID in the latest one but I doubt it, it will probably come along with toucher as a must. I don't need the touchbar at all but Touch ID would be amazing
     
  12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

    bigjnyc

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #12
    Just get an Apple watch, instant login no need to even touch the computer.
     
  13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

    AustinIllini

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2011
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #13
    If they came out with a bigger machine in the same form factor, I might be in.

    But not WWDC. Probably Q3
     
  14. ascender macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    #14
    The thing about TouchID is that in its current form, its support is frustratingly limited in macOS. There's so many occasions where you still have to enter passwords, for things which are part of the OS or Apple-owned apps. I'm sure support will improve for it, but you'd have thought it would be used for any and all interactions with Keychain for example.
     
  15. - rob - thread starter macrumors regular

    - rob -

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Oakland, CA
    #15
    Fwiw, last year's press release came out the third Tuesday.

    If the majority of poll respondents in this Thread are correct, and Apple holds a pattern, we are ten days from a refresh.
     
  16. - rob - thread starter macrumors regular

    - rob -

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    Oakland, CA
    #16
    Happy potential Macbook Update's Eve.

    Tomorrow is "the day" if the update announcement is to mirror last year's.
     
  17. bigjnyc, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

    bigjnyc macrumors 601

    bigjnyc

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #17
    last year best buy pulled all of their macbook inventory on the Monday before (4/18) which would be today..... that hasn't been reported this year, maybe I'll check if I can reserve one for store pickup at my local best buy a little later. If anyone has time now they can give it a shot.
     
  18. stgall macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    #18
    Just checked availability in NYC - it still looks pretty widely available (only certain stores showing low stock, others all available). SF looks good too.

    Hopes dashed :(
     
  19. polee macrumors 6502a

    polee

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    #19
    Looks like an update in April is not going to happen...
     
  20. bigjnyc macrumors 601

    bigjnyc

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #20
    If it doesn't happen tomorrow then I agree, but I'm still hopeful that tomorrow is the day.
     
  21. sterlingindigo macrumors 6502

    sterlingindigo

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Location:
    East Lansing
    #21
    Hopefully April yet. Keeping an itchy trigger finger crossed. Any updates on Best Buy sku's and such?
     
  22. embotix macrumors newbie

    embotix

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2016
    #22
    So ready to pull the trigger, too! C'mon Apple! Let's do this!
     
  23. John William macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2017
    Location:
    Canada
    #23
    Isn't there an iPad pro update mid May ? If so, maybe then...
     
  24. sterlingindigo macrumors 6502

    sterlingindigo

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Location:
    East Lansing
    #24
    WWDC in the beginning of June, but that's forever... hopefully it's one of those silent refreshers a lot sooner cuz my trusty 11" MBA is no longer
     
  25. psymac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    #25
    Me too, hoping it is tomorrow, Best Buy sale gave me even more help.
     

Share This Page