Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rjbooth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
Okay guys need some advice here. I am really looking to cut down on weight as I am going back to school. I currently have a 2012 mid 13in non retina pro with 8gb ram and 500gb hard drive. The battery is down to about 1.5-2 hours of usage and the super drive doesn't work anymore and it's pretty beat up cosmetically. I will be going back to school as a business major so will be using a machine for word excel some Photoshop and hearthstone. Will I see a huge imporvement by getting a MacBook? Love how small it is. Or would a MacBook air be good enough as I am not used to retina screens. Really not looking at the pros right now as I want it to be light. What do you guys think?

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
I would definitely get the MacBook, just because of the screen, even if you don't care about the screen, its lighter than the Air. If you want more ports get the Air.

What ever you get it will be a huge weight-loss either way... I would get the 12in MacBook, it will amaze you trust me. You will never go back to anything else ;)

Reactions: radiologyman

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The screen on the 12" MacBook is way, way better than the screen on the 13" MacBook Air. However, there are (unreliable) rumours of a 13" MacBook coming.

Since you have a working machine with decent performance already, I would just wait until the new models are out, and then decide. You can buy a new model with your student discount, and you might even get a free gift depending on when they are released and where you are located.

Note though that the MacBook won't be hugely faster than your existing machine. If you don't mind the weight, you could spruce up your existing machine just by getting a new SSD and battery, although the battery still won't last anywhere near as long as a 12" MacBook.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Really not looking at the pros right now as I want it to be light. What do you guys think?
The non-Touch Bar MBP isn't a bad choice, it's about as light as a MacBook Air and you get a larger screen than the 12" MacBook along with an extra USB-C/TB3 port.

Outdated screen and internals aside, the MBA isn't that bad of a choice either, you get ports galore, MagSafe and IMO a nicer (IMO) keyboard than the MBP or 12" MB.

Rjbooth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2018
Okay so I was at bestbuy today checking out the keyboard and well they had an open box that was marked satisfactory. Machine and box perfect just missing the usb c cable for the charger. Luckily I use a pixel 2 so have plenty of cables. Got the MacBook for 769.99 holy smokes what a great deal if you ask me.

Reactions: catean and waquzy

waquzy

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2013
Leicestershire, UK
Okay so I was at bestbuy today checking out the keyboard and well they had an open box that was marked satisfactory. Machine and box perfect just missing the usb c cable for the charger. Luckily I use a pixel 2 so have plenty of cables. Got the MacBook for 769.99 holy smokes what a great deal if you ask me.

Thats an excellent deal for an excellent laptop, enjoy ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.