Macbook 256GB SSD Manufacturer?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jtibbitt, Mar 6, 2009.

1. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

It's a new option that costs $825 extra over the base HD. Anyone know if it is a Samsung or Toshiba?

2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

It appears Apple uses the Toshiba for it's 256 gig SSD and the Samsung for it's 128 gig SSD.

3. jtibbitt thread starter macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Ok, I just sat on the phone with Apple technical support and she assured me that it is not Toshiba, Samsung or any other brand. She said it is an Apple product, 100% developed and constructed by Apple. And she could not tell me of whether or not the warranty would be void if I put an aftermarket SSD into my new MB. Any thoughts?

4. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

This seems extremely unlikely. Sometimes CSRs feel a need to make up information if they can't find any actual information.

5. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

She's full of BS and doesn't have a clue. Apple does not make their own RAM chips let alone SSD chips. Since it shows you right in the manual how to upgrade your hard drive it won't void your warranty. There's a latch at the bottom of the machine so you can easily open and access your battery and HD. If they wanted it to void your warranty they wouldn't have made it so easy to access.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

But it is completely possible the SSD was made by Apple just using Samsung or Toshiba chips. Its not too out of reality.

7. jtibbitt thread starter macrumors regular

jtibbitt

Ok, heard from two of people (a customer service rep and a techie) who seem to know their stuff. They both said that since Apple does not have a contract with any one SSD company, they just use what's on hand. And currently, they use Hitachi, Samsung, and Toshiba. So apparently it is possible to get a Samsung in a purchased laptop, but absolutely no requests are possible. And the customer service rep told me, that whatever hard drive comes with a newly purchased computer must be in that computer if/when it is serviced under warranty. So any aftermarket SSD would have to be taken out and the factory drive put back in before giving it up for service.

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Now that sucks :eek: All of those SSDs are in completely different leagues. From reviews I read, the Toshiba is total crap compared to the Samsung. I haven't heard much about the Hitachi, but Samsung has the crown with the 256 GB speed wise right now, so I doubt the Hitachi is better.