Macbook 2GB to 4GB ram

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by b-e.n, Apr 26, 2009.

1. b-e.n macrumors newbie

Yes, i wanted to get a macbook pro not long ago but my dad just surprised me with a tracking number for a 2.4 macbook which is coming in wednesday. i dont mind it, it might even be better for transporting around nyc every day. it only has 2gb of ram, however, and i want 4gb of ram. i called the apple store on 5th in nyc, they said i could upgrade to 4gb for 100 bucks, the soho one said 200. 100 sounds fine but 200 sounds pretty steep. plus, i have to wait like 2-3 days. i don't know which one it actually is, but i did some research and think soho (200) was right. is there any way i could buy 4gb of ram in nyc and just do it by myself for a lot cheaper? i'm not going to order online, i don't want to tell my father about this, he would be pissed that i want to change his gift. i still cant wait for this thing to come in wednesday, worst comes to worst i'll just spend the 200 bucks.

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

are you kidding? you're going to spend 200$ for a RAM install on a unibody? just so you don't have to order online......

dude spend <80 bucks shipped to get 4GB from crucial.

there is no reason to not order online

3. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Why would your dad be mad that you want to upgrade? If anything, ordering online is the cheapest way to do so (~$70 now), since the other options are 1.) Getting it through apple within 14 days=$100 (Just like BTO) or 2.) after the 14 days Apple charges $200.

And if I may ask, why do you really need 4GB? I mean, you can do what I did, you can just see if 2 is enough right now, and later on...if you do decide to upgrade, it will be cheaper than it already is to order, and then do it yourself. That way it won't piss off your dad, it will make you happy, and it won't burn a bigger hole in your wallet than necessary.

5. insignificantMB macrumors member

Bring 2 government issued documents, like drivers license and passport to a bank. Open a checking account. Get a debit card and order the ram online.

6. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

You can buy your OWC ram for $60 and fill out memory rebate. They'll give you $12 for your 2GB. Bringing the cost down to $50 shipped.

Then you can install it yourself with this tutorial

7. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Yea I just got 4 gigs for my unibody MBP for 70 bucks. Crucial, from the University Bookstore.

Cheers

8. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

it was a gift from him, i'm not going to ask him to spend more on a gift. and im not going to buy online, he's going to see the ram and figure out i'm not completely satisfied with the computer. its not that i cant afford the 200 bucks, its that i figured there would be a possibly cheaper and easier route.

9. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

well do you really need 4GB?

10. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

U should be happy to get a Macbook Pro... just accept it and change the ram yourself another day. If he sees that its been changed in the future, just say that the 2GB wasn't sufficient so you upgraded... no harm there O.O

11. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

1-yes i need 4gb
    2-its the macbook, not the pro
    please read what i originally wrote, i asked where i could find 4gb of ram in nyc for cheaper than 200$. i didnt ask for other sets of questions, answers that have nothing to do with the original post or answers that contradict whatever i said in the original post. if i'm asking a question, i want an answer for it, unless you have it, don't post it please. if im going to say i cant get this online, don't tell me to get it online.
    im not pissed its just that you guys are making useless posts.
    i'll just pay the 100 bucks or 200 or whatever, im not short on money. and please dont start flaming, i only have good intentions on here.

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

you live in NYC right? there's gotta be somewhere close-ish that sells RAM. i don't know what kind of electronics stores they have near you. Best Buy? Fry's? any computer retailer? You should be able to pick up the right RAM for no more than $75. There is no mac specific RAM, so you don't have to get it at the apple store. You just need DDR3 SO-DIMM, 204 pin, CL7, PC-8500. so bring your cash to a regular electronics or computer store instead of the apple store. there's no need to spend more than $75, and there are options other than an online retailer. Another idea if you want to keep it from your dad would be to pay a friend to order the RAM from OWC or Crucial for you. Meet him somewhere and do the swap. Sorry in advance if you find these suggestions useless. lol

13. b-e.n thread starter macrumors newbie

^thank you, best post so far. i was expecting to hear more about specialty stores or something but best buy and all that will cut it i guess