Macbook 3,1 and ICH8-M with SSD 1.5 gpbs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by -tool-, Mar 15, 2011.

1. -tool- macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

Recently I bought a new SSD drive for my HackPro, but why not give it a try to my old Macbook 3,1 with stock 120gb 5400rpm and 4gb of RAM.

So I installed the new OCZ Vertex 2 60gb SATA2 with OSX 10.7 Lion. Everything was blazing fast, boot, opening apps, noise etc but copyfiles, so I pass a XBench test. Boom capped to 117mb/s, problem with controller caped at 1,5gbps.
    [​IMG]

Well, then I start looking for answers, many threads about the same question, never answered, Firmware updates for new mbp 2009, but not old SantaRosa and Penryn.

So the same capable ICH8-M from Intel capable of SATA2
    [​IMG]

I started checking with friends with macbooks, and new MBP 2010 i7, with 7200 500gb (from apple), working as 1.5gpbs! Oh come on apple!

I got tired of searching for answers, I have the latest EFI firmware update, so I gave up.

Then a friend show me his Asus F3SV laptop running Snow Leopard, 8600M and C2D with WD 500gb 7200 rpm 2.5".
    [​IMG]

Oh Hackintosh with ICH8-M working full speed.

I don't know what to do, any advice?

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

laptop works, why complain about it.

you shouldn't be using 10.7....its a beta....so its going to show weird things like that.

3. -tool- thread starter macrumors newbie

1st Laptop works half of speed capable of, 117 vs 250mb/s
    2nd Lion / Leopard/ Snow leopard / All the same.

Booting from my Snow Leo install say the same, google about all ICH8-M problems. Macbook Pro Macbook, all blocked SATA 2 support by Apple.

So, Lion isn't the problem.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I've got the same laptop, and that limitation is mildly annoying.

If you find a solution, post it here.

Unfortunately I can offer you no advice.

5. -tool- thread starter macrumors newbie

All models Core2duo pre Unibody era, have the same problem with ICH8-M, you saw the screenshot above, Hackintosh in a 2007 laptop with the same Chipset ICH8-M recognized as 3 gbps.

The problem is the EFI, apple suffer this same problem with 2k9 laptops, slow performance, then updated their EFI to support 3 gbps and forgot all "old" Core2Duo capable devices.

6. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah it's a bummer that all of the older macbooks are 1.5. But it is what it is. I am pretty sure there is no way to change that. Even my Late 08 MBP 15" is running at 1.5 right now....but I am pretty sure mine is just my current HDD I have in here..

[​IMG]

7. -tool- thread starter macrumors newbie

But you see, your controller is capable of 3gbps.

Macbook Pro i7 2010 with 7200 500gb from apple, shows the same 1.5gbps
    [​IMG]

(I don't have best screenshot right now)

Look careful this screenshot, it's from a 2007 Laptop PC with OSX installed:
    [​IMG]

This slow performance it's apple's fault, even an atom netbook beats in disk performance a $2000 Macbook Pro Penryn with multitouch.

Apple SHOULD FIX this. But what could we do?

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I think there's very little we can do. Apple is all about planned obsolescence. They want us to buy new notebooks to get what we've already got.

9. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Agreed.

10. -tool- thread starter macrumors newbie

Why not a mass complain at apple forums, all people at same time. Making Noise.

-- We have Intel ICH8-M Capable of SATA2 3 Gigabit.

-- Apple block 3 gigabit support in the EFI, upgraded before to fix unibody macbooks with same problem after complains, why not us?

-- OS Support Intel ICH8-M (Hackintosh with same chipset works at full speed)

My white MacBook with X3100 is not such a loss, but this Macbook Pro Penryn with Touchpad Multitouch like unibody ones, with 8600GT, better looking than unibody MBP.

11. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

I would do it too, but I don't think there would enough push behind it anymore to get apple to release a update for that. I could be wrong, however.

12. diewuste macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem with my Macbook Pro 4.1 and I just bought a new battery for it... so I would do it too!

13. -tool- thread starter macrumors newbie

What about sending some screenshots and explanation to popular apple blogs?

14. polim78 macrumors newbie

15. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I replied. Probably pointless, but worth a try.

16. polim78, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

polim78 macrumors newbie

It is not useless since this model is still supported by Apple, it is possible that this update the chipset since arriving. It is sufficient that each of us sets out his problem on this post so that the problem can quickly trace the Apple team. What I think is unnecessary is to pay dearly indeed a product of quality but end up rein.!

17. polim78 macrumors newbie

One person told me to pass the information directly from Apple through this link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Feel free to describe any problems you encounter with this limitation, which may take the time to lay an update.