MacBook 3,1 Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dudemaster12, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Dudemaster12 macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,
    I was recently gifted an old Macbook 3,1 Santa Rosa, and I have been updating it, and I have gotten it running pretty well for its age. It has the core 2 duo, a 120GB HDD and I have it up to the max 6GB of RAM. Now I am currently running 10.6.8 but all of the apps I want to run say they require 10.7 and Starcraft II is dropping support for 10.6 soon. Would it be a bad thing for me to upgrade to 10.7? In your various opinions would it be worth it, or would it slow everything down? I have read a few forums on it but they were a bit dated and I wanted to get some fresh opinions on the matter. Thank you very much for your time!

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

I have previously owned the same Late 2007 SR white macbook with 4gb ram (2x 2gb), which I upgraded to lion from SL, and it's definitely an improvement from SL on this mac in terms of responsiveness and overall speed. If you're currently running SL on this mac, then I would recommend upgrading to lion. Depending on how much ram you have installed, it will run just fine on 2gb but for more cpu intensive tasks such as Final cut pro and Cs6, i'd recommend a minimum of 4gb.

3. Dudemaster12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thank you for the great answer! I think I am going to give it a shot! I have 6GB of memory so I think I will be ok.

4. RSL macrumors regular

Lion is terrible. I wouldn't upgrade. I had a MacbookPro4,1 and upgraded to Lion with 4GB ram and (old style) SSD and it was so sluggish compared to SL. I gave it a year and then downgraded back to SL. I'd say unless you have a fast SSD (which you don't seem to have) don't upgrade to Lion.

5. luisgibe macrumors newbie

For me works pretty good... although sometimes I think that with SL would be better.

Anyways, if you want iCloud on your old macbook, you should go for Lion, as afaik is not available for SL.