Macbook 3 Beeps

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by job, Jul 17, 2008.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

So I've been running 4GB of third party RAM in my Macbook for the last three days now. When I initially installed the RAM, the Macbook wouldn't boot and kept beeping (3 distinct beeps, after some Googling, I find out that the three beeps means that none of the RAM passed the power-on-test, etc)

However, after going back and reseating the RAM, the Macbook booted fine and has worked fine for the last 48 hours - no kernel panics, no crashes, no random shutdowns, nothing that would suggest bad ram. I decided to run SW Update today only to see that the beeping and inability to boot came back after rebooting the Macbook after the SW updates had finished.

I tested each stick of RAM by itself, in each RAM slot and it seems that one of the sticks of RAM is faulty, not both.

How is it possible that both sticks of RAM would work fine for several days, only to have one of them fail after running SW Update?

To make matters worse, I leave the country for a year at the end of next week, so I don't think I have time to mail the RAM back to OWC. I'm just confused as to how both sticks were working just fine about 3 hours ago...

I also ran the HW Test of off the DVD with both: it didn't find any problems with the one stick that works, but wouldn't even make it to the HW Test scren with the second one, regardless of which RAM slot it was in - leading me to believe it's the RAM and not the logic board.

I've searched the Forums as well, and it's pretty darn clear that it's bad RAM, but again, it worked fine for 48 hours, so I'm a little confused as to why it would start acting bad if it had worked fine before.

Any insight would be appreciated!

2. rogair macrumors member

Well you found out it's a bad stick. You could download Rember and see if the stick is bad. Just to verify your diagnosis.

Bottom line, the RAM is bad. Only thing you can do is get another stick.