Macbook 30%-40% discount at Future Shop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Imaya, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Imaya macrumors newbie

Hey guys, by mistake I discovered a flaw at Future Shop:

Two days ago, I went to by the regular unibody Macbook which was selling for $1399 (in Canada). As usual, I asked if they had open boxes in stock and he found one, I was selling it for $1249. I opened the box, it was in perfect condition so I decide to buy it.

Now comes the trap...he wants to sell his 2 years warranty which I declided immediately, I rather investing in Apple Care. The starting price was $320 and he went down to $50...I would be stupid not to take it.

So I went home with my nice purchase and looked at the receipt...the extended warranty was in fact $320 and he reduced the price of the macbook to $994! It's simple fact, the rep. make huge commission on extended warranty.

Yesterday I went back to Future Shop and got refund for the extended warranty telling them that I prefer Apple Care...go reimbursed and a Macbook for $994!!!

Cheers!!

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That's awesome. Too bad I don't have any place around here called Future Shop.

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

While this is great, you might want to add "How I got a..." before your thread title. The way you put it makes it sound like anyone can get the same discount (though from what you've described, some people might).

4. Psychmike macrumors regular

You're right! They did the same thing when I bought a Wii. They threw in a 'free' extended warranty but when I looked at the receipt they charged me for the warranty. They explained that they discounted the console and extra controller to make up the difference.

Now why didn't you find this out BEFORE I ordered my Macbook from the Apple refurb store??? ;) I wonder how long before they figure this out and fix the loophole...

5. Arkangil macrumors regular

I've never owned a mac, but I've been checking the refurb store regularly. They have a base mbp every so often that I've been seriously considering. I wonder if they would do this for me on a mbp, and if it would save me more than the refurb store.....

6. Imaya thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I would say this is a hit and miss, next time, I will try to find the "shark", the seller aware of all tricks to put money in his pockets. This is probably the easiest legal way to save money!

7. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Wow, that's a great deal! Too bad the nearest Future Shop is in Sault Ste. Marie; a good 6 hour drive away...