MacBook 31 Days and DEAD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tesseractny, Jan 13, 2008.

1. tesseractny macrumors newbie

Ok this is the second Black MacBook I've gotten int he past year, in fact this one was sent out by Apple ot replace a melting MacBook, and this morning went to turn it on and poof, smoke, nothing. I went thrut he prescribed checks, and still nothing, any ideas? (I am waiting for APple to open tech support today, it's still early here)

31 days, seems like a massive failure rate, first one was 63 days.

hmm...

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Wow, smoke? Looks like you're ready for MacBook number 3 :)

I've only ever had problems with one Mac, and it was my first Mac ever - the first Intel Mac mini. It lasted 48 hours before failing completely. I was mortified :( I asked for a refund and then started over to avoid confusion.

Good luck with technical support.

3. tesseractny thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the funny thing, my Mini has never even had a hiccup, it seems to run just fine, and I think I've turned the thing off only once in the past two months.

hmmmz

4. tesseractny thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

A very nice Apple tech support person called the local Apple Store and got them to replace it (again), I just wish the store had been as nice when I went in, they were rude, didn't want to swap out my hard drive, went so far as to want a complete list of programs I was running and their serial numbers (as if that could have really damaged the hardware) and fried my old hard drive (the scoring marks from it arcing are evident) when they removed it from the old machine. But in the end, new MacBook (#3) and hopefully this one will last beyond it's first 90 days.. If not then I'm going back to a desktop.

The tech informed me that there were two things that could have caused the issue, 1.) damaged logic board, shipped with the machine, or 2.) if anything at all got in and shorted the power connector's internal workings that cloud I saw would have been produced.

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Congrats on the quick replacement.

Yeah, I don't mind answering a complete set of questions by an employee to completely investigate the problem. I don't like them being rude or accusatory about it though.

I recently had both my top case (the crack thing) and logic board (intermittent Bluetooth) replaced under warranty, the Genius at the store was great and didn't question anything.