Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aro8366

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
As stated in title, i have MB4.1 and I know x3100/gma950's are a pain in the A, as there is no drivers. I didn't find any report on will it run with 10.8, i know for sure that 10.9+ isn't worth it as there is no accelaration.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've never run 10.8 on any machine so I don't know if it's even usable. I know that 10.7.x isn't. So much has changed that Safari on Lion isn't capable of decent web browsing and it's probably as bad with any old third-party browser that might be installable.

To answer your question…from the info at osxhackers.net it would seem the graphics will work in 10.8.x.

I am in the process of getting El Capitan on one of these MacBook 4,1 models. I've got it running on an SSD in there but I'm waiting for the RAM upgrade and a new battery (this one is completely dead). The fans ramp up on the push of the power button but I'm hoping a working battery will solve that.

aro8366

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
@BrianBaughn you can close the thread, I found what I nedeed:
Best option is MPF 32bit Mountain Lion - it's pain in the ass to install right now.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
@BrianBaughn you can close the thread, I found what I nedeed:
Best option is MPF 32bit Mountain Lion - it's pain in the ass to install right now.

I tried to get ML on it, just to try, but couldn't. After all this I think I'm going to put a Linux distro on it. It's for a kid and everything she needs it for is web-centric…and the OS I chose is up-to-date on web browser support. The graphics are supported and the OS is light enough to display full-screen HD streams most of the time.

Reactions: aro8366

aro8366

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
Exactly, if it would be for me i wouuld just install linux aswell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.