Macbook 4.1 Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz 2GB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by danpass, Aug 25, 2011.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Will it run Lion?

A coworker has one and was told by an Apple Genius "nope, just up to Snow Leopard"

so now we are curious.

If the title specs won't do it what can be done to this MB to have it run Lion?

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

It'll run. Gotta love the brilliant staff employed by Apple.

3. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

ok, I figured as much.

They were essentially trying to get him to buy a new laptop lol

4. timotay89 macrumors regular

I have the same type of computer. It runs on mine, but some things are slower and it slows with less programs running than it did with SL which is why I'm adding 4GB more RAM to mine in a month. If you don't need to have 7+ applications open at once though it's good.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It's running on my 2,1 so I'd hope the 4,1 could handle it. :cool:

I think it's suppose to run on anything intel based. Just no PPC.

6. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I have it on my blackbook 2.4ghz 2gb of ram at times its slow, but works. I think I may go bo to snow.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I too had Lion on my 4,1 2.4GHZ 4GB black MB. Ran fine and I had it on there for a month and decided to go back to SL. I like having Front Row on it and have it connected to a 24" Samsung monitor.

Lots of the new Lion features won't work on the black MB such as the gestures and air drop.

8. Dream Loader macrumors newbie

i have the same mac as yours. it runs perfectly on mine, except only sometimes it might slow, e.g video chat, games.

9. Amarq09 macrumors newbie

Upgrade to 4gb of RAM and this machine will run fine and be pretty fast even by today's standards. The limiting factor for speed after upgrading RAM is the 5400 rpm hard drive. The Core 2 duo Penryn processor is pretty solid.

I recently made the decision to pass up selling this macbook and buying a MBP and opted instead to purchase an SSD to replace the 5400. I figure this machine won't be outdated for at least another 2 years time, at which point I'll look into purchasing the newest MBP.

The SSDs are not cheap though, I paid $299 for Intel 320 160GB. My current HD is the same size and I'm able to fit everything on here pretty easy. Keep movies, photos, and some music files on external.

I think I'll regret my decision if SSD prices drop significantly within the next year, otherwise, meh, I'll try to justify somehow.

Tangent aside, yes it will run Lion, but Snow Leopard is fine imo.