MacBook 4 not connecting to network but not internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by millerm84, Dec 3, 2008.

1. millerm84 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone I'm a first time poster.

I have a client who has a MacBook 4 that needs to connect to the internet via a wireless router. The setup for the network is a bit different then some. First the wireless router is a linksys range booster WRT54, it is set up to gain a DHCP address from the Cisco PIX firewall, and to give addresses to wireless users via the same firewall.

The problem is, this MacBook will connect to the network, it will gain an ip address (that will give ping responses to other machines in the office) matching the scheme the network is using, but it will not connect to the internet. The network is a domain, but I used my windows laptop that is not a member of that domain to connect to the network and was able to get to the web. The Mac will connect to the internet using a hard line connection at the office, and the client uses a wireless connection at home for the same notebook, its running OS X but I don't know which version.

So there it is thanks for any and all help!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What's a MacBook 4?
    So it's picking up a dynamic IP address? Does the Ethernet or the Airport have a manual IP address? Did you try different browsers/web sites/ iChat?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I think he's talking about the moniker in System Profiler.

MacBook 4,x or whatever.

4. millerm84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I' m unsure of how Macs are numbered and I don't have the unit in front of me I just remembered Macbook and 4 around the keyboard somewhere. :D

But to answer your question yes it is receiving a dynamic IP address. And it matches the DHCP pool so it is joining the same network as the other computers on the network.

EDIT: I did try different websites, all of which were reachable by the windows "control" laptop, to no avail. Client was using firefox on the wired connection before I arrived to setup the wireless, so I assumed (knowing full well the risk of doing that ) that the browser was not the issue.

One of the guys I work with suggested a restart may fix the issue (he had seen it work for a similar issue)

5. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

6. millerm84 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. millerm84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly shut up and reboot seems to work for Macs too. Thanks for the input all.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

That's usually the first step in troubleshooting ;)