Macbook - 4gb worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cowslayer, Jan 27, 2008.

1. cowslayer macrumors newbie

I am about to buy a 2.16 GHz black macbook (kinda nervous, this is gonna be my first Mac).

In any case, I am buying the base 1GB model and am planning on upgrading on my own and my question was whether it is worth upgrading to 4GB which is maximum allowed I believe or if I should just upgrade to 2GB.
    I'm asking because I ran the crucial.com's utility that recommends memory for a given system and it recommended a 2 GB (1+1) update to me.
    Are there any problems with the 4GB upgrade that I'm not aware of? Is it not worth it?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If it was 3 years ago I would say to just go for 2GB ram because prices were so much higher then. Today ram prices are so much cheaper there really is no reason not to consider maxing out your computer even if it's just basic web surfing and email that you do daily there may be times where you need iPhoto or certain programs that will require lots of ram so 4GB will work well.
    One last thing if you use tabbed browsing it uses a lot of ram with multiple pages. Again, max out your Mac, it's worth it.

3. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

If you can spare $100, go for it and upgrade to the 4GB of RAM. You can get the most out of your applications, and you won't have to worry about things slowing down as much, for the most part.

4. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Like what the others said... 4 gigs of RAM is only 100 bux. Theres no reason not to max out the RAM now days.

5. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i was going to upgrade to 2gb like you aswell but, i upgraded to 4gb instrad.

im glad i did after a day of use, i was using 2.2GB with just itunes open/Firefox

so :D

6. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

2.16GHz?? New BlackBooks are 2.2GHz. Unless you are buying one refurb or second hand.

If yours isn't new from Apple (ie pre-Santa Rosa), then you will only get to use 3.3gb out of 4gb of RAM. Santa Rosa MacBooks support 4gb of RAM.

7. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Always get the best specs you can afford. Thus, max out as much RAM as you can afford.

8. bonefish macrumors newbie