macbook(5,1) Aluminum RAM 3 beeps

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ztb, Aug 19, 2012.

1. ztb macrumors newbie

I've had my macbook aluminum since 2009. Somewhere in 2010, I upgraded to 4Gb of RAM (crucial). Since then, I have a really weird problem. Sometimes, when I put my laptop to sleep or reboot it, it will do the "your memory isn't seated properly", 3 beeps. When this happens I can just hold the power button down and it reboots perfectly fine. There is a 30% likelihood that whenever I reboot/awake my MB, it will 3beep me. I've learned to live with it.

Has anyone seen this before? I've reseated the memory several times. it's more of an annoyance that anything, just curious. Could it be that the memory is bad?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it could. If it's properly seated and you're still getting the beeps, your RAM is likely defective or damaged.

3. ztb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Looking at prices, I can pick up two 4 gig sticks for ~$40. OWC seems to think I can run 8 gigs too!

4. GGJstudios, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It does support 8GB. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

5. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

It does support 8 GB as long as you have the latest firmware... if not, you are going to have problems.

6. ztb thread starter macrumors newbie

7. ztb thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: After Several weeks, no more beeps! I find myself using this laptop more than my 15" MBP!