MacBook 5,1 Battery Cycling.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by east85, Jan 10, 2015.

1. east85, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I recently purchased a new battery for my MacBook 5,1 aluminum unibody. After replacing the clutch cover, installing a new optibay drive and cleaning my fan out I thought it would be worth my while. Anyways, what would be the cycling procedure for a new battery from Apple? Should I cycle it at least once to get an accurate reading, wait a month, or what?

Thanks!

Edit: I read the battery guides but didn't see any mention of brand new batteries

2. ryguy92000 macrumors regular

ryguy92000

No Need!

Don't worry about cycling a new battery. They are already built ready to go! In fact these days the batteries are acting a lot like cars, lower cycles (lower miles) then the higher the value. IF you are paranoid about the battery. Do an SMC reset AFTER installing the BATT. This will give you a clean slate and a clean battery reading.

Good Luck!

3. SeitanFingers macrumors newbie

Did you get a new one from the shop for your 5,1? I haven't been able to find one available on their online store, and support or in-person was no help either. They advised me to check if a reseller had a legit battery.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

5. spadz93 macrumors member

i agree, where'd you snag the new battery from?

6. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

BatteryFox on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121485180959

BatteryFox on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121485180959

Thanks GGJ. All good information. :D