Macbook (5,1 core 2 duo) hangs with OCZ Vertex SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dmchapman, Nov 14, 2011.

1. dmchapman macrumors newbie

Stuck a Vertex plus 120GB SSD in my macbook last week, fresh install of lion and all seemed fantastic. Lovely and fast.

Got home, opened it up and it woke from sleep and hung... seemed to do this fairly often - not 100% but probably getting on for 50% of the time :-(

Firmware on drive was 3.5 as shipped, I upgraded it to 3.55 (latest) and no difference. Mac is completely up to date as far as software update goes.

I've not hacked it to allow trim support, I've just replaced the internal drive. Stick the old drive back in and it's fine.

Plenty of other people reporting similar problem, but also plenty reporting no issues. Before I send it back as not compatible (OCZ claim it is compatible) I just want to sanity check that I'm not missing anything.

I've told the mac not to powersave disks. I've now used pmset to set hibernate mode to 0 (it was 3 as I'd expect). No difference at all.

Anything else to try? I can't see any more suggestions on here - I've posted on OCZs forums but have had no feedback.

Shame, it's fantastically fast now, but I can't live with not being able to sleep it :-(

Cheers,

Darren

Output from system info:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia
    Product: MCP79 AHCI
    Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

OCZ VERTEX-PLUS:

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
    Model: OCZ VERTEX-PLUS
    Revision: 3.550000
    Serial Number: 8S67V210ZQWVHA195OW6
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Medium Type: Solid State
    TRIM Support: No
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
    Volumes:
    disk0s1:
    Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
    BSD Name: disk0s1
    Content: EFI
    System:
    Capacity: 119.17 GB (119,174,365,184 bytes)
    Available: 101.16 GB (101,158,559,744 bytes)
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk0s2
    Mount Point: /
    Content: Apple_HFS
    Recovery HD:
    Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)
    BSD Name: disk0s3
    Content: Apple_Boot

2. kweston2 macrumors newbie

Vertex 3 Macbook Pro 5,1

I am having a similar issue. Just bought the vertex 3 to upgrade my Macbook Pro to make it more useable for the next couple years. Put new Vertex 3 in external USB enclosure and used Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the drive. Sucessfully completed and booted off the external USB. Even on the USB interface the drive was faster than my internal drive. Next I put the drive inside the computer on the SATA interface and that when the drive slowed to a complete crawl. It must take 20 min to boot of the drive and once it does even doing the simplest clicks take 20-30 sec. So i take the drive back out put the old one back in and it all works again. boot the SSD off external USB enclosure and once again speedy. I am at a loss there must be some kind of interface problem with the Macbook SATA controller.