MacBook 5,1 frequently crashing hard drives

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by webknows, Nov 30, 2010.

1. webknows macrumors newbie

Yes, you read that right.

I have a MacBook model 5,1 (uni-body late 2008) that I had to replace its hard disk like 3 times in the last 1,5 year (maybe more).

Please note that the laptop is used in a flat, stale table, along with other laptop and an external hard drive (turned on most of the day and night). Also, I don't carry my MacBook everywhere with me. It stands on the table most of the time, like 90% of the time actually. One thing to note though is, I keep the MB turned on for long periods (~15 days), not doing very frequent reboots.

The symptom is always the same: it all starts with general sluggish performance and then, beach ball every once in a while. When I go check the system logs (/private/var/log/system.log) I find a couple of entries like: kernel[0]: disk1s3: I/O error. It's inevitable the hard drive exchange a couple of days later.

So my question would be: could it be an issue with the HD controller? The sudden sense motion component? Or what else?

I would like to first find out the root cause of the issue, then, proceed with a fix/replacement/etc.

Thanks.

:apple:

2. webknows thread starter macrumors newbie

I just came across this Apple article http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964.

It seems System Management Controller (SMC) is responsible for controlling the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor), so I will give a try to reset SMC. Although, given current hard drive status, it will likely need a replacement anyways.

I will keep you posted.