macbook 5.1 unibody power cable query

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alieshia, Dec 19, 2010.

1. alieshia macrumors newbie

Hi! I have a macbook according to the "about this mac" section it is a 5.1, its the one when they started making macbooks in metal (I remember this as it was a replacement to the plastic one I had which cracked horribly)

My power cable broke and I purchased a 60w magsafe as I was recommended but it will only power the thing but says "not charging" where the battery icon is and if you remove the cable the laptop goes straight off. Do I need the higher w cable?

The lady I spoke to on the phone at the local apple store said since it is a metal body it has to be a pro but I know when I bought it is wasn't a pro... thought I've heard rumour they rebranded the model not long after I got mine.

Ok so under all that waffle what I would really like to know is which power cable I need please? and If it's the one I have do you think it means mine battery has died too?

thanks so much, Ali x

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's the 13" aluminum MacBook, Late 2008, MacBook 5,1, Model number A1278, introduced October, 2008.
    You can find specs on all Apple products with Mactracker.
    No, the 60W MagSafe Power Adapter is the right one.
    She's wrong.
    See the CHARGING section in this FAQ, which should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999