macbook 5,1 with lion performance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chinhiphone, May 1, 2012.

1. chinhiphone macrumors regular

my sister has a macbook 5,1 2ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ddr and was wondering if anybody has the same but with lion installed?

if so how is the performance? ive been told lion is sluggish so one reason why ive never upgraded myself.

also would this mac be mountain lion compatible?

if lion doesnt perform well, i will prob upgrade her to SL

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

SL is definitely worth the upgrade. For Lion that MacBook might not be optimal, but would work for sure.

In any case, considering the currently low RAM prices, I'd advise you to upgrade the RAM to 8GB, which is the actual maximum supported by the 5,1 model.
    This would also improve Lion's performance.

3. chinhiphone thread starter macrumors regular

if its not optimal w/o having to purchase additional hardware i think ill pass.

thanks for your insight

4. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have a slightly newer and faster 2009 uMB 2.4 with 4GB and Hybrid 500GB and Lion was not working well on this machine, so I am keeping it loaded with SL which works perfectly on there with no issues. Mine originally came with 10.5 L, but I upgraded several months later and SL is the perfect OS for machines around this time frame.

5. allapon macrumors regular

allapon

I have Macbook 5,1 with 2.4 GHz Processor. I run Lion for a while and find out that 8 GB is suitable for Lion. No more Beach ball!!

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Keep it on Snow Leopard unless there's a pressing requirement to upgrade. Lion works best with 8GB of RAM+ in my experience.

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I've heard that Lion works okay with 4GB of Ram but it works best with 8GB.. Lion still has some glitches that need to be worked on, so I'd say stay with SL until they all get worked out.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

That machine will lose 256MB of RAM to the graphics frame buffer anyway, so its 3.75GB in reality.

Mine ran Lion OK, but it was more of a test install. When I was forced to go Lion on the replacement MBP performance was poor as typical RAM usage for the same workload was higher on Lion and it was paging quite extensively. Upgrade to 8GB sorted that out.

9. cshel24 macrumors member

I have a 5,2 with 4gb and Lion was a mistake that I got tired of and downgraded.

Snow Leopard runs great.

10. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I think people's results have been hit and miss.

I have a MacBook 2,1 with 2GB ram and 2.0 ghz Core2Duo processor.

It has no problems running Snow Leopard.

Out of curiosity, I installed Lion onto a 16GB thumb drive.
    Lion runs quite well on my MacBook even off of the thumb drive.
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

But after playing with it, I decided I prefer Snow Leopard. I still have the thumb drive just in case I need it.

11. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

hmmm, i'd like to try lion on mine too. I have the same setup as OP
    :)