MacBook 5,2 White - when SSD is inserted, fan rev up more easily.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by allan.nyholm, Dec 16, 2012.

1. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Hi,

I have this MacBook White 5,2 with Mountain Lion installed that has an issue using an SSD instead of the regular spinning hard drive. The fan spins up more easily when the SSD is inserted if f.ex I'm watching a YouTube video, a movie trailer or a clip elsewhere on the net. But it's not just that - in general use the fan spin up from it's usual 1996-2000 rpm to about the highest at 6500-6700 rpm more than I personally feel it should, like if Transmission is downloading something then during what I think is the due to the write portion the fan spins up to to its highest during the whole time Transmission is doing writes to the SSD. It could be as simple as copying files within the OS too.

During installation of OS X Mountain Lion the fan also spins up to its highest for more than 5 minutes if not 7 or 8 making the install procedure very noisy.

I would love to use the Samsung 830 128GB model of SSD I have with this MacBook 5,2 and without using a tool like UltraFan(from this forum) or SMC Fancontrol.

What could be the matter? With the SSD inserted in a regular PC there's no issues with fans going up - not that I can hear because the PC I have is very loud in itself.

Is it a bad SSD I have gotten myself? It's pretty old now so no returns is possible.

2. Nina2 macrumors newbie

Hi Allan,
    unfortunately I cannot answer your question, but I would appreciate some help to my problem. I also have a white macbook (early 2008) and I want to install a 1,8" Kingston SSD. The problem is that I have to do the following conversions:
    a) the microSATA -> SATA and
    b) SSD size 1,8" ->2,5"

after many searches, I find it quite difficult to find such a double adaptor (adaptor+case). Do you think that I could overlook b) and use merely a microSATA -> SATA adaptor? I know that in your case it was a 2,5" SSD, I would appreciate any extra information!

Thank you and all best,
    Nina2

3. allan.nyholm, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

allan.nyholm thread starter macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I'm uncertain if the adapter plus the harddrive will fit within the tight spot of where the harddrive is usually placed. I know that with my MacBook there's not much room for the harddrive so putting an adapter in there too would be troublesome.

Your MacBook is probably similar to mine with the way you unscrew the battery using a fingernail or a coin and then reveal the housing for the harddrive?! The few adapters I've looked at really lengthens the harddrive's dimensions even though it is a 1,8" as you mention.

I'm sorry to say that my suggestion would be to look for that 2,5" SSD.

Let me put in a link here that I found:
    http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=243 - it's a casing that might be what you're looking for. Link is taken from this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1030925

Edit: Scratch that - the product is discontinued.. The replacement product is here http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=300

That should help you

4. jwm2 macrumors regular

I have the same ssd in my macbook 5,2 and don't notice the fan reving up unless i'm doing something cpu intensive. Not sure why yours is reving up, but mine seems to be acting normal.

5. allan.nyholm thread starter macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

What is your normal CPU operating temperature? I have one that's around 55 degrees celcius and 70 degrees celcius on heavy load. I'm beginning to suspect that my thermal paste is in need for a replacement.