MacBook 5 mins to boot up!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tjjm36m3, Jul 6, 2014.

1. tjjm36m3 macrumors newbie

Just couple days ago my 2009 Macbook unibody crashed with a screen popping up to reboot by pressing and holding the power botton. I never seen this screen pop up before since I had owned this Macbook for over four years now. After that incident, every reboot takes five minutes with the screen showing a status bar. But after it's booted up, everything is fine except the sound and Quicktime player doesn't work. Also while I'm just surfing the web, I noticed the laptop gets a lot hotter than usual also.

I did some searches on online and did a self diagnostic test by rebooting and holding onto the "D" botton. This came up: "4MEM/4/40000000: 0xaa00de98"

I'm still running OS 10.6.8. I wasn't sure if this was a software operating issue or not so I tried downloading Maverick from the App Store but it failed to download every time.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I believe the hard drive is failing.

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It could be the hard drive, but that error from AHT is a memory (RAM) error. Looking up "4MEM/4/40000000" will show that. You may try to reseat the RAM, and run AHT again, if not, start with one stick at a time to test them and see which if any is a bad stick.

Also, I'd check out a tool called SMART Utility. It'll show in detail the specs of the HDD so you can see if it's failing. Disk Utility only has a basic version of this. As an example I had a disk with 200+ reallocations and hundreds of pending sectors with the drive being horribly slow, and Disk Utility said it was verified. Lol.

I'd start with SMART Utility and see if the drive is bad, if not, start troubleshooting the RAM. I could be wrong about the error, as I haven't used AHT much myself.