Macbook 6,1 to LCD issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ellsolan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Ellsolan macrumors newbie

Hello all.

I have recently purchased a Macbook 6,1 (late 2009 model), and decided to buy a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adaptor (which isn't from Apple), hoping that I can connect both DVI and VGA monitors//projectors, the latter via an adaptor.

The above-mentioned adaptor is a DVI-I (has the 4 extra pins for analog data on the left). I have tried using it with my Macbook, and it works with DVI-D output. When I tried to use both Single-Link and Dual-Link DVI to VGA adaptors, the monitor doesn't detect the input, but the Macbook sees the monitor, under both OS X (10.6.3) and Ubuntu (10.04).

Does anyone here have any previous experience with this kind of issue? Are there any possible solutions, or do I have to buy a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adaptor as well?

Thanks, Ells

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

You can't use a MDP to DVI adapter with a DVI to VGA adapter. The MDP to DVI adapter does not have the analog pins in it to carry the signal. You'll have to get a MDP to VGA.

Side note: if you buy the MDP to DVI adapter from monoprice, the DVI connector has the analog holes in it, but no pins to carry the signal.

3. Ellsolan thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, I am not a resident of the US, so the adapter isn't from monoprice.

I have just opened the adaptor and checked that the pins are there and are connected to the main board. Even more, the board has a DVI-I inscription.

I believe that the adapter isn't at fault, but can't say more (due to my lack of experience with OS X)

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

Afaik Displayport simply can't convert the signal to both analog VGA and DVI at the same time so it doesn't matter if the analog pins are connected in the adapter because they're not connected in the MBP end.

Just buy the VGA adapter.

5. Ellsolan thread starter macrumors newbie

And I assume there is no way to 'trick' the macbook to get to output analog signals only via a script?

If not, I guess I'll have to buy the VGA cable as well, but thanks for the help