MacBook ^ 6 HOURS

MRU

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
25,318
8,813
Other
Just thought I'd let you know what Apple claim for battery life. That 1.5 hours more than the macBookpro.....
 

fredwards

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2005
33
0
Just keep in mind that this is on low settings with Airport and Bluetooth off. It's a great number, but if I am wireless, Airport will likely be on too.

Still I'm sure it will improve upon the MBP based upon the claimed 25% increase by Apple :D
 

MRU

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
25,318
8,813
Other
Hey if it gets upto 4 with airport and half brightness I'll be happy.

I remember buying one of the first Sony Vaio laptops with P3, it managed an hour at best and the machine fell apart within a year....
 

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
507
0
Los Angeles
You will never see 6 hours of TRUE battery life with any of apple's portables. I have never seen the battery power display a constant 6:00+ time. I think you will generally get about 4 hours of use on a single charge with a light work load + apx on.
 

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
2,923
32
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully it is the same or better as the old iBook (which was also listed as 6 hours.) That one does great, no reason why the MacBook should be worse I guess (since rated the same.)
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wickedG35 said:
You will never see 6 hours of TRUE battery life with any of apple's portables. I have never seen the battery power display a constant 6:00+ time. I think you will generally get about 4 hours of use on a single charge with a light work load + apx on.
Yeah, it basically sounds like it will be about the same as the iBook 12" is....
 

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
552
0
Connecticut
mkrishnan said:
Yeah, it basically sounds like it will be about the same as the iBook 12" is....
I get pretty good battery life on that, so I think the Macbook's battery life will be very reasonable.
 

Ozu

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2006
6
0
It might get close

I used to spend a lot of time working off battery on my Powerbook G4, and could generally get about 4 hours of battery life out of it by sitting somewhere really dark and dimming the screen to the lowest level I could bear.

I bought the first MacBook they sold at the Pasadena Apple store yesterday morning and have been working on it ever since. While I haven't put it through any serious tests yet, one kind of obvious thing about the battery is that it's huge, roughly twice the size of the batteries on iBooks and 12" G4 Powerbooks. I would expect it to pack significantly more power than the tiny batteries on the earlier computers.
 

Ozu

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2006
6
0
Just to add...

Just for laughs, I unplugged my MacBook just now and set the screen brightness to the second-lowest bar. When I first unplugged it, the power indicator on the menu bar estimated a time remaning of 5:09. I've been working normally for about ten minutes since then (all I'm doing is text entry and editing), and it now estimates 5:39.
 

Ozu

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2006
6
0
An hour later...

I've been running on battery for an hour and fifteen minutes now, and the indicator on the menu bar now says I have 4:44 left. I actually need to go offline soon so I can't keep it running for five or six hours straight to see where it dies today. But thus far it looks to me like the MacBook has measurably longer battery life than the G4 powerbook did.
 

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
615
4
California
Ozu said:
While I haven't put it through any serious tests yet, one kind of obvious thing about the battery is that it's huge, roughly twice the size of the batteries on iBooks and 12" G4 Powerbooks. I would expect it to pack significantly more power than the tiny batteries on the earlier computers.

haha yah i was noticing, thats probably what causes most of the weight...