macbook 64-bit or 32-bit?!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ksabek, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ksabek macrumors member

hello I just have one question is my current blackbook 64-bit or 32-bit? Now I heard that intel core 2 duo are always 64-bit and on other forums they say its 64-bit, but from what I read here on that for vista it only supports 32-bit, so it seems that my blackbook works fien with a 64-bit mac OS X but 32-bit vista?!!!!!:confused:

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

64-bit. But, there aren't many apps out there that are 64-bit, so they will only utilized 32-bit addressing.

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

Vista64 is the Vista to use. Much better than the 32. OSX is 64 bit, but will run 32 bit code without issue. the same is true for Vista64.

4. ksabek thread starter macrumors member

o okay nice thanks everyone, so could I install vista 64-bit or 32?!

5. UnWeave macrumors newbie

As I understand it, Boot Camp technically does not support Vista x64 on MacBooks, only on MacBook Pros and Mac Pros.

This article from Apple's support site shows that to be true. Googling around, I have seen the odd guide to get x64 Vista on MacBooks and MacBook Airs, but I think it is a but of a hassle to get iSight etc to work correctly, if at all.

Hence, I'd suggest 32 bit. If you have the retail version of Vista this includes both 32 and 64 bit versions anyway, so maybe try 64 and see if it works first?

6. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

You can install Vista 64-bit, and then one way or the other try to get the Boot Camp drivers for a MacBook Pro. Nearly all drivers also work for the MacBook. (Well, except for the Intel integrated graphics, but Intel has 64-bit drivers for that.) Mind you, I don't have first hand experience with this, as I run XP in Boot Camp, but I've seen people discussing the above tactic on this forum.