Macbook 7,1 Kernel Panic After Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ozymandiasss, Aug 9, 2014.

1. ozymandiasss macrumors newbie

So I have a fully functional mid-2010 Macbook which had 10.6.8 installed with a 250 GB hard drive. I bought a Seagate 1 TB hybrid SSHD and went to Geek Squad for an installation. When I brought the Macbook home, I connected a Superdrive with a Snow Leopard install disk, booted it up with "option". The Macbook recognized the "OS X Install disk", but that was the only option; I'm not sure if it was supposed to or not, but it did not acknowledge the hard drive. When I selected the Install Disk option, the Apple logo with the loading wheel below it was going for a couple of minutes but then I got a kernel panic. With a normal startup, I got the flashing question mark symbol. I tried a Safe Mode boot (with Shift key), but got a kernel panic again. Does anyone have any possible next steps? Does the hard drive have to be formatted in some way through Disk Utility? I've been scouring for options on this site, but I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to these sort of things. Thanks!

2. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

If OS X is not installed, then only the usb/cd is showed at the start. Maybe the Snow Leopard install disc is bad? I have a 7,1 macbook too and i've used a usb with Mavericks for the installation. Try with one.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think you have a new drive (the SSD) installed, but it will not be visible as an install choice until you format it.
    Boot to the Snow Leopard installer, until you get to the screen where you expect to see the destination.
    Choose Disk Utility, from the Utilities menu.
    You should see your new SSD listed in Disk Utility, along with your OS X installer DVD.
    Choose the SSD, then click the Erase tab.
    If you have selected the SSD, you can name the partition on that screen.
    Should also show "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" for Format.
    Click the Erase button. Should just take a few seconds to complete, then…
    Quit Disk Utility.
    You will return to the OS X installer screen, and you should also see your newly formatted drive, ready to select, and continue with your OS X install….

4. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

I think that you didn't understand his problem, he can't boot the SL installer.