Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michiganitis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Hello!

In a bit of impulsiveness, I have just acquired a Apple laptop: a lightly used Macbook 7.1 (released mid-2010 and discontinued, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo). This is my first Apple computer!

I want to upgrade just a wee bit to squeeze a bit more performance out of what is currently probably a mid to low end laptop. Two questions:

1) I know this Macbook takes 1066 MHz DDR memory. But I have two 2 GB sticks of 1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SODIMM. Can I put those in? Or do I have to get 1066 sticks?

2) I'd like to put a 7200 rpm hdd in it. Will there be any potential issues with heat? (I'm assuming a 7200rpm drive generates more heat than a 5400rpm drive.)

Thanks!!!!

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Hard Drive

My brother has the white Macbook with the same CPU as yours, but its an older model. Gave hime my original Apple Seagate 500GB, 7200 RPM drive from my Macbook Pro 17. Runs like a champ, no heat issues at all. However his macbook is placed on a aluminum stand and has 6 GB of Ram (2 + 4) which helped a lot for internet flash based stuff and he will stay on SnowLeopard.

If I would be you, I would go for the Seagate Momentus XT drive. The drive is a lot faster then the original 7200 RPM model. Even if the fan kicks in a bit earlier, the gained speed is worth it with only a view more bucks!

My recommendation: Absolutely go for the Momentus XT and a nice laptop stand. You want performance, - this is where you get it.

michiganitis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
My brother has the white Macbook with the same CPU as yours, but its an older model. Gave hime my original Apple Seagate 500GB, 7200 RPM drive from my Macbook Pro 17. Runs like a champ, no heat issues at all. However his macbook is placed on a aluminum stand and has 6 GB of Ram (2 + 4) which helped a lot for internet flash based stuff and he will stay on SnowLeopard.

If I would be you, I would go for the Seagate Momentus XT drive. The drive is a lot faster then the original 7200 RPM model. Even if the fan kicks in a bit earlier, the gained speed is worth it with only a view more bucks!

My recommendation: Absolutely go for the Momentus XT and a nice laptop stand. You want performance, - this is where you get it.

would you take the momentus xt over the WD Scorpio Black 7200? I read some reviews where the WD was very nearly as fast as the hybrid momentus XT. wrong?

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
That is a yes..

would you take the momentus xt over the WD Scorpio Black 7200? I read some reviews where the WD was very nearly as fast as the hybrid momentus XT. wrong?

Did not read the reports on the Scorpio Black. I think a 7200 drive will not top the XT. The tests that are out there are designed to compare mechanical HDs with mechanical HDs. In the case of the XT this can't really work so its hard to compare. Sure, the overall performance might be on the same level, but it feels faster. It really boots up very quick and all things I use all the time are somehow preloaded. They are just up very quick. It wasn't the way with the original drive. The difference is noticeable, but maybe it does not show on the benchmarks. But this is exactly the edge the XT has over the standard drive. The 4 Gig of Flash on top of the 500GB feels like a fast short term memory to me, its a great little speed boost for almost nothing. It worked for me.

Oh, - and since you are in Michigan - make sure you pay Ann Arbor a visit - my old home town for three years. What a nice area and a great state !!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.