Macbook A/C Power Charger [Unknown Problems]

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by whardypace, May 15, 2008.

1. whardypace macrumors newbie

I have absolutely no idea what keeps happening to my Macbook charger, I have to keep buying new ones, it's about every 2/3 months it just stops working. The LED light doesn't glow, even the computer shows that it isn't charging. I don't really unplug the Macbook a lot, could that be the problem? I tend to leave it constantly on a power source.
    I read something about the charger "sacrificing" itself when there is a power surge. But if I am having power surges, wouldn't that effect my other laptops plugged in (I have my NEC VERSA P8100 plugged in usually as well) as well as my parents having their Windows laptops plugged in too, and I'm the only one with problems.

What could be the possible solutions?

Regards,

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Is your charger plugged in in the same socket as the others? Maybe there is something wrong with the one you are using.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Could your problem be on the other end of your charger? Perhaps you should look at use and cleaning of the MagSafe.

If it turns out to be a power surge problem, you might consider a line filter or a UPS.

To me, it sounds like the MagSafe should work for longer than 2/3 months. I've had 2 for 2 years and they both work fine.

Hope you are able to determine the cause. -GDF

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You say you are buying a new one every couple of months - why ?

If they are failing for no reason why are you not returning them to Apple to find out what the problem is ??

If you are experiencing power surges is the Magsafe charger the only electrical item that fails ?

5. whardypace thread starter macrumors newbie

It started working again randomly.
    So I guess it wasn't a surge problem? But that doesn't explain my other ones, which also inconsistently worked.

Regards,

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Check what kind of electrical equipment you turn on or off in your house/apartement. I had a problem with fluorescent lamps: each time I switched them on the charger stopped charging. Only solution for me was to unplug and replug from the wall socket. After I moved that lamp in another room the problem disappeared. Probably the lamp send something over the power line that disturbed the charger.
    It won't cost you anything to keep an eye on that.

Edit: kbmb just posted the link I was looking for in the post below.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

mine was the first ever macbook pro one but was with my macbook and lasted a year and a half until my dog chewed it so a i got a new 85w magsafe :p