Macbook, a possible savior?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macflurry, Jul 15, 2007.

1. macflurry macrumors member

Hi, I'm relatively new here (I've been looking at macrumors and its forums for about the last year actually since I really don't want Vista and I am under the impression that the macbook is wellbuilt) and I'm really considering buying a refurbished Macbook. I have a few questions though: (hopefully I haven't overlooked these while lurking the forum)

1. If I bought a Macbook from somewhere like macmall and something happened to it, would I be able to take it to an Apple store for service?
    2. My old laptop, a Thinkpad R40, hasn't aged too well, its really falling apart. Other than the tendency for the Macbook getting scuffed up (which is pretty much a fact of life), are Macbooks sturdy/good to travel with in book bag?
    3. Can anyone recommend a good computer insurance program that might give a bargain to a college student?
    4. Can anyone recommend a good security cord to tie a macbook down to my desk with?
    5. Do the screens on macbooks offer much viewing space, or do you macbook users on here prefer using an external monitor?

Thanks for any help, I'd really appreciate it.

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I can't say much on the actually Macbook itself as I have a macbook pro, but in my experience with an iBook g3 and a tibook as portables before my pro... they held up GREAT. The iBook was durable as they come and despite a few scuffs (pretty unnoticable actually) I was able to sell it for over 800 after 4 years of use and it looked pretty good.

You'll see some wearing on the keys and trackpad after a bit, butnot too bad, and if you get apple care (230 w/ student for 2 additional years on your 1 that comes with refurband new apple products) if something else has a problem ... with a little nice asking you can get them to replace the case towards the end so this won't be a problem. (hehe, and yes, I did this when i went my tibook in for a screen repair and I asked them if they could replace the topcase and they did free of charge just cause i asked nicely)

Anyway, even my tibook which i would call one of the more fragile laptops due to hinge issues etc (not the case anymore with new designs) held up great after over 5 years of use.

Just don't throw it at the ground, and get a nice sleeve for it (maybe one you can keep on while using it in more abrasive environments) you should be AOK.

Get applecare. I highly advise it, and while i know people have had problems with apple a bit in this forum, that's the minority. My apple/applecare service was impeccable for all my apple products and with my tibook they even fixed things a few months out of warranty.

enjoy your new computer!

3. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

1. If I bought a Macbook from somewhere like macmall and something happened to it, would I be able to take it to an Apple store for service?

Yes you will providing that it is new (standard 1 year warranty) or if you are buying used from another retailer, you can still recieve retailer warranty.

2. My old laptop, a Thinkpad R40, hasn't aged too well, its really falling apart. Other than the tendency for the Macbook getting scuffed up (which is pretty much a fact of life), are Macbooks sturdy/good to travel with in book bag?

I also do not own a macbook at the moment but used to have the black macbook and it is VERY tough (so tough that it felt very heavy for me). Im sure it will stand up to knocks very well. Ofcourse scratches and all are inevitble but you can get sleeves, protection covers etc to help prolong the life of it.

3. Can anyone recommend a good computer insurance program that might give a bargain to a college student?

Im in the UK so im not sure but here, with the Higher Education discount, they do a standard 3 year warranty (like apple care) which I believe is much cheaper than the standard Apple care. So check out the education page of the apple website.

4. Can anyone recommend a good security cord to tie a macbook down to my desk with?

I dont use one so i cant really say sorry...

5. Do the screens on macbooks offer much viewing space, or do you macbook users on here prefer using an external monitor?

I would definately use an external monitor. Really depends how you use your computer i.e. out and about or usually at your desk. If its the latter, you would want an external monitor for convenience, useability and comfort. You can then connect external mice and keyboard to have a sort of desktop rig at home but mobile to go.

Hope that helps a bit!

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I absolutely LOVE using my macbook pro in a desktop set up like this. The thing FLIES! It handles my 22inch eternal lcd while running a good portion of the cs3 quite and barely gets hot at all!

I do a bit of design so the bigger screen is neccessary but I agree. Get a larger monitor (you can get 19 - 22 inch widescreens at a pretty decent price... 19 would be fine for basic stuff and def give you a nice lift over the 13.3 macbook) You can use it in clamshell mode with an external keyboard and it works swell :)

Enjoy!

5. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Yeah heres my setup to give you an idea, i do Logic and reason (audio).

Attached Files:

6. macflurry thread starter macrumors member

I was under the impression that Applecare service was a very entry level type of warranty, am I wrong?

I intend to have an external monitor in case I need to work on something like an excel spreadsheet so that I wouldn't have to scroll sideways through the thing every time I needed to find data. For my summer job, I'm currently working on spreadsheets with a Dell laptop with a 14 inch screen and that inspired me to want an external monitor.

I now have a new question, I read about asking for 'refresh items' at my ocal applestore, exactly how would I go about and do that?

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

8. macflurry thread starter macrumors member

I know, its apples only extended warranty, but before reading the recommendation to get apple care, I just felt that it was just in case there was a recall or something to get assistance.