Macbook A1148 lost password, how can i reset it

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by moonload, Nov 17, 2009.

1. moonload macrumors newbie

hi there i have brought Macbook A1181 from ebay it works fine but there were two accounts but i don't know the password and when i try to get back to the ebay seller he is closed he is account. also i have read the mac wesite that i need to use the

Code:
    If you don't remember the password and automatic login is turned off, you can reset the administrator password using the Mac OS X User Install disc.

IMPORTANT: Because a user with the Mac OS X install disc can gain unrestricted access to your computer, you should keep the disc in a safe place.
    To reset the administrator password using the Mac OS X disc:

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc and restart the computer.
       2. When you hear the startup tone, hold down the C key until you see the spinning gear.
       3. When the Installer appears, choose Utilities > Reset Password.
       4. Follow the onscreen instructions to change the password.
       5. Quit the Installer and restart your computer while holding down the mouse button to eject the disc.
    But didn't received any CDs from him so i don't know what version of CD i need it also i am new to macbook so its fully confusing please somebody help me how to reset my password.

Thank you

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Call Apple and explain that you need to buy some system restore discs. They'll ask you questions and determine what you need.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Did you ever think that maybe this MacBook is stolen?

4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Notice lack of reply's??? Yep.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why do people like to jump to conclusions. It's always is it stolen or is it fake…

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, let's see, the MacBook was sold on eBay, it has previous user passwords, it has no system disks...and the seller has disappeared from eBay. I don't think I'm jumping to conclusions, just making MY opinion on the facts given.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

DewGuy is probably right. eBay rules require the disks when you sell a computer. You can get replacement disks from Apple they are called fulfillment disks.

8. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

Since nobody will man up, I'll go ahead and tell you how to reset your password. Google "Reset password using single user mode" and it will show you several sites with the terminal commands you will need to reset it. Message me if you need help. Oh god I spilled that secret somebody call the cops on me.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Where should we start?

[​IMG]

10. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

Haha I dunno, I'm making a run for the border.

11. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

I suggest buying a Snow Leopard install DVD for $30 at your Apple Store and installing a fresh new O.S. over all the crap the previous owner left on your hard drive in the first place.

My experience is, no one keeps the original CD's. I don't get it myself, but I'm a also bit persnickety and usually keep more stuff than I need. It seems like the first thing new computer owners do is throw the install CD's somewhere they will never locate or think of them again.

12. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I don't understand why either - I have my restore discs exactly where I want them... In the original computer box. They are much more useful than most people realise.

13. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I knew that you could use the OS X disc, I didn't know that you could do it via terminal. I'm not against helping the OP, it's just that I was pointing out what seemed like the obvious reason for this situation. I personally think that eBay and PayPal should be involved in resolving this.

14. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

Yeah, its cool I feel you. Yeah you can use terminal in single user mode as I helpd a close friend of mine reset her brother's password on her macbook pro. Her brother had died and nobody in the family knew the password so I did some research into it. The method does raise some ethical and sercurity concerns, so I would imagine that why Apple does not really advertise it. Its ironic, I'm a late comer to the Mac game and I know more about it than some people I know who grew up with them.