Macbook A1181 13.3" February 2008 white doesn't power on!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by danyog1, Dec 8, 2013.

1. danyog1 macrumors newbie

Macbook A1181 13.3" Feb 2008 2.4GHz

I purchased the MacBook today
    The laptop has had liquid damage, I am unsure what.
    When I press the power button nothing happens... I've tested things for over 4 hours on it now and still nothing.

Magsafe plugged in= Orange charging light, Has been on charge for about 2 hours and the Magsafe is getting hot.
    On the battery the battery indicator level shows, I have noticed this has been charging up and the third dot is currently flashing..
    I thought this could be the logic board but I don't see how it could be when the machine is actually getting power to it and accepting charge.

I don't really want to spend money on things that aren't going to work, could anyone suggest things it could possibly be?, I assume now it would need a new top palm with the power button ?.
    How could I turn it on without the power button just to test if it would be this if this is possible....
    I would be grateful if somebody could help me, thanks!

2. WildCard^ macrumors regular

You could take the keyboard top off (see iFixit) and short out the keyboard jumper. That would simulate a power button and boot it up, if possible.

Mind me asking how much you paid for a dead water damaged 2008 MB?

3. danyog1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Thank's for your reply :),
    I paid £40 and was told it was a 2008 MacBook with a 160GB hard-drive 2gb of ram and a 2.0GHz processor.
    It has 500gb and 4gb of ram and a 2.4GHz processor.

I've looked at them but on my motherboard I either can't find out what I need and where I have to place whatever to short it..

4. danyog1 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. WildCard^ macrumors regular

40GBP is around $65 USD.

Oh nice, the 4GB ram is around $40 so your purchase will pay off easily when you take into consideration the power adapter and HD.

The jump pads now that you found them, just short them with a screwdriver, and it should, if possible, boot up. Guessing you tried that already though.

Do you see or hear no sign of life when you hit the jumpers?

6. danyog1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, have tried that. I've sat for about 30 mins trying it and still nothing, I think we can safely say the logic board is knackered ?
    Saying that, what I don't understand is how it's charging the battery and the Magsafe end is actually showing a led colour. When the battery is in the light on the magsafe is orange and the battery indicators do gradually go up (is now on 4) When the battery is removed the led changes to green.

I'll probably just get a used working logic board to fit this model and a new keyboard & power button palm.

7. WildCard^ macrumors regular

My skillset doesn't allow me any better advice to give than the logic board is knackered.
    I do admit it seems odd that the charging mechanism is working.

anyone have experience with logic board troubleshooting?

8. danyog1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I've just stripped the MacBook completely and rebuilt it, now when I touch the jump pads the white led is flashing 3 times then stays on a fully bright white light.
    No fans sounds or anything, the logic board is getting hot?
    Any idea as to if it can still be saved ?