Macbook A1181 2GHz White Questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by G-baby158, Jan 8, 2010.

1. G-baby158 macrumors newbie

Hi, i'm new here, first off my name is Greg, I have a macbook A1181 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1GB of ram. I've just gotten an upgraded hdd for it which is a 250gb one. Right what i want to do is get everything off of my old hard drive onto my new one but i haven't got a time thingy the only thing i've really got is a ex hard drive, plus my pc, which is win7. Anyone know how i can do this so i can keep all my files how they are and my dock, apps ect.
    Also another thing. As i didn't buy my Macbook new would i still be able to go into the Apple store and try and get my keyboard repaired? as i did see when i was reading on here yesterday that it is a common fault where the plastic breaks off and they fix it for free, would i be able to do this? and also if it makes a difference i've had a new install of snow leopard put on my macbook since i brought it.
    Also could anyone tell me what year it is aswell.
    Thanks for anyone who and give some advice.

2. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update* Just found out that it is a Macbook3,1. I found this in about this mac and then more info. Could anyone tell me some reviews about this model and con's about it. Also what year it is still. Thanks.
    Edit* just found by searching on Google that it is a late 2007 model, is this true or not?

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Your MacBook could be anything from 2006 to 2009, there's no way of telling with the information you provided.

The only way to narrow it down is to go to the Apple menu () then hold Option and click "System Profiler".

Under "Hardware" click "Graphics/Displays"

If the Chipset Model is Intel 950, then it is from November 2006 to November 2007.

If the Chipset Model is Intel X3100, then it is from November 2007.

If the Chipset Model is NVIDIA GeForce 9400m, you're a lucky dog and it's from January to May 2009.

Moving along, you don't need anything special to use Time Machine. All you need is an external drive that is big enough to contain all your information.

So this would involve 3 drives:
    1. Your internal
    2. Your new drive
    3. an External (for Time Machine)

When I use Time Machine, and I've used it maybe 6 times, I swear up and down that if somebody took my machine and replaced it and used Time Machine to restore my information, I wouldn't have a clue! It's that efficient! My icons, files, folders, applications are all where I left them! The settings stay just the same as well.

Besides Time Machine (which I HIGHLY recommend for backup) you could plug your new drive in and clone your internal to the external. Swap them out and then boot right up, done.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Your posts are quite hard to read, spelling and punctuation are somehow missing.

It is the year 2010 by the way, but I assume you want to know what year your Mac was build.
    Go here, enter the serial number of your MacBook (to find it go to Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview) and press Enter.
    [​IMG]

Time thingy - Time Capsule or Time Machine?

Your external HDD will most likely be formatted with a file system called NTFS, if you formatted it using Windows, which Mac OS X can read, but not write to, unless you install NTFS-3G (includes MacFuse) on your Mac OS,
    Thus you could copy your data via your external HDD.

Or if you have an ethernet cable, you can exchange data via LAN.

Also what do you mean with i can keep all my files how they are and my dock, apps ect.?
    Is that referring to Windows or Mac OS X?

Windows applications won't run on Mac OS X, unless you install Windows via Boot Camp or as a virtual machine.

Please have a look here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ - videos for the illiterate caste

5. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry about this, i'm only 16 and english. right yes i think my mac is a late 2007. No i mean the dock of my mac, i.e. how i've arranged it ect. Yes my external hdd is formatted on windows and has got a lot of data on it so i will have to download NTFS-3G or if you could tell me how to do it with an ethernet cable that would be easier.
    Thanks.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, I'll throw in my two cents.

1. The easiest way to get the new HDD in and maintain your system the way you want (i.e. window positions, dock, application behavior, etc) is to use a cloning application. Try either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. Both are shareware, but let you use it for free (limited abilities, but for what you need it'll work). Buy and external HDD case for the current HDD in the Macbook (you'll need a 2.5" SATA external case). I recommend the Macally PHR-S250CC. Install the new HDD into the case, run CCC or SD to clone the existing HDD onto the new one. Re-boot using the external HDD (hold the option key on reboot) to check to see if it works. If all is good, then swap the HDDs. Wait a week or two to make sure everything works fine before wiping the old HDD ... or better yet, use the old HDD as a backup drive (may not work too well if it's too small).

2. As for the keyboard, yes, the cracking palmrests are very common. I've heard stories where if you walk in with a cracked palmrest, the Genius will just swap it out, no questions asked. Takes 15 minutes. The fact that your MB is 2nd hand, shouldn't matter. Even if it they don't fix it for you, it's not that big of a deal. It's just cosmetic ... at least until you drop something small through the hole(s) in the keyboard.

3. I know you didn't ask, but get more RAM as soon as you can. 1GB is quite limiting. Make sure you figure out exactly what model you have. The best way to check is to see what video card you have and cross check with Lowendmac.com .

4. As for using Time Machine ... that only works if you're running 10.5 or higher. You haven't mentioned what system you're running.

5. As for your current NTFS external HDD ... I wouldn't mess with it. Just plug it into the MB (using USB or FW ... but probably USB). Copy all of the files you want/need onto the MB (as mentioned above, Macs can read NTFS). Then just leave that HDD alone. If you want, and there are no other files on that HDD, you could reformat that drive as HFS+ or FAT32. FAT32 will allow you to use the drive with Windows and Mac. HFS will only allow the Mac to use it, unless you want to install software on every Windows PC that you plan to use that HDD with.

7. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi ftaok, Thanks for your reply. Firstly i have just ordered a HDD enclosure for my hard drive as i will be doing it that way that you have said. Also i am running 10.6 Snow Leopard, i'm sure i put that in my first post but i can't remember. Yes i've been looking at more RAM for my macbook just haven't been to fussed about it as it's been running fine. Also i have found out that it is a Macbook3,1 late 2007 model. Do you know how much RAM is the max i can put in my unit? some say 2GB some 4GB some even say 6GB so i don't know am a bit confused about this.
    Thanks for your help.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Again, we'd need to know what graphics card your machine has.

If it is the Late '07 model with the x3100, then it can support 4gb. OR, the more expensive route is to buy a 4gb stick and a 2gb stick for a total of 6gb.

6gb of ram is not supported by Apple but people pull it off using the 2+4 method, check these forums for help.

9. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is the X3100, checked that earlier thats why i said that it was the late 2007, doubt i will put 6GB in will settle for 4GB i think.