MacBook A1181...good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davistld01, Sep 28, 2014.

1. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

First, let me say that I am a 56-year old non-techie guy. I've had every iPhone and at present do all I really need to do (web surfing, email, some videos, reading, etc.) with an iPhone 6 & iPad Mini retina.

I've wanted to try my hand at a "real" Mac, but I don't want to...and don't especially see a need to spend the bucks for a new MBP until I learn the Mac OS and how to work it. I've messed with several MBP's at Best Buy and am generally confused by their total opposite from the PC's I use at work and am somewhat capable on.

Here's my question: I have an opportunity to buy a like-new Apple MacBook A1181 from a local Craigslist seller. It's the white plastic model, but is perfect & is said to run that way...for $220. Is that a fair deal? Will it enable me to "get my feet wet" in the way Mac OS works reliably? Is it a good machine to start with?

I appreciate your help, and advise! :)

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Personally I don't purchase MacBooks older that the white 2010 A1342 models. I put 8GB of memory in them and replace the HHD with a 500GB SSD. The machines run Mavericks and Yosemite just fine. I have done 4 of them for family and friends. I get the machines on eBay for $300-375.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A1181 is a wide range of models ranging from the original MacBook in 2006 to the mid 2009 MacBook. Depending on the year, it can be a great machine but I would negotiate the price a little bit. The early 2009 and mid 2009 were the only non-unibody MacBooks to run the latest version of OS X. If it is one of those I would say go for it. The older ones with at least a Core 2 Duo max out at Lion.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Every OS release has a page on the minimum requirements. I would not get something that will not run Mavericks.

OS X Mavericks: System Requirements
    Learn about the system requirements for OS X Mavericks.

To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
    MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
    MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
    Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
    Xserve (Early 2009)
    Your Mac also needs:

OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
    2 GB or more of memory
    8 GB or more of available space

5. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

The guy is selling it for a friend on consignment. He's not sure what year model it is, but it's running Snow Leopard and is in perfect shape. Would that give you a clue (the OS) as to what year model it might be? If not, how can I tell when I'm looking at it?

I'm going to try & buy it for $175-200.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Snow Leopard would even run on an original Core Duo MacBook so that doesn't say much. When you are looking at it, go to :apple: --> About This Mac --> More Info and find the model identifier. It is normally something like "MacBook 5,2". You can then look at the information on MacTracker or Google.

7. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Ask him for the serialnumber, than you can look up the detailed specs instead of guessing.

8. davistld01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

davistld01

2007. Decided to pass on this particular machine. I think I'll ante up a bit and try to find a clean 2009-2010 MBP.

Thanks for your help!

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Let us know where the road takes you with this...

10. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

That was a wise decision. You should be able to get a 2009 white Macbook for about $200. If you pop a cheap SSD into it, it will run well.

Good luck!