Macbook A1181 won't go to sleep when closed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sonhascome, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I have a black a1181 macbook pro that won't go to sleep when I close the lid. I know that the previous owner replaced the screen so I don't know if he messed something up there, however when I slowly slide a external hard drive ( a spare one not connected to the computer in any way) along the left side of the lower case next to the keys it goes to sleep (by left side I mean the one wear the power chord plugs in), so I don't know if the reed switch is bad or if it isn't high enough? Or if it's the reed switch at all? any help or guidance is greatly appreciated

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It sonds like the magnet came lose in the monitor, and your external hard drive is acting like a magnet. If you don't mind opening up laptops, it's not a hard fix.. it's literally just a magnet. If you've never opened a laptop before... I wouldn't even try it.

3. session101 macrumors regular

that sounds right, i think the guy replaced the monitor and carelessly put it back together, probably either the magnet is loose or is non-existent because the previous owner couldn't find it.

you would have to undo the bezel around the screen, it just pops off, use a credit card to ease it up, be careful not to break the plastic clips that hold the bezel down. and see if you have the magnet on the left side just about in the middle

oh and there is no such thing as a black macbook pro..

4. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

A quick alternative is to bent the little metal clip that holds the magnet in place, put the magnet in, and then bang it back into place. I'd do it properly though ;)

And, you'd have to buy a new magnet from eBay. I've heard that people were able to have apple sell them the part for like $15, but I wouldn't count on it, since most people at the genius bar wouldn't have a clue about it.

5. Sonhascome thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, you're right there is no such thing as a black macbook pro. I also have a macbook pro and have had it for 2 years so I just keep writing that in inadvertently. Thanks for the input guys, I think I found the spot the magnet is supposed to go and I ordered a new magnet so I'll let you know how it goes once I get the magnet