MacBook A1278 Freezing / Horizontal Lines

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by michaelhare, Nov 10, 2014.

1. michaelhare macrumors newbie

Need some help. My Macbook (Model A1278) is having some issues. At random points it will freeze and then restart while in use. Also, anytime I close my laptop, it completely shuts down. Lastly, Horizontal lines intermittently appear on the screen grouped in Vertical columns.

I took this to the Genius Bar and they couldn't find anything wrong. Mentioned that it could be the RAM. Before I replace the RAM, I wanted to see if anyone was having similar issues.

Thanks so much!

2. michaelhare thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like this is rapidly getting worse. Anyone have any idea on this?

3. michaelhare thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached is an image of what the screen is doing.

Attached Files:

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Looks like it's either bad RAM, or the video card (which would be a logic board issue, it's soldered on). Usually the GPU issues show up more on ones with a dedicated card. Looks like a 13" so I'm guessing it's either a 2009-2010 model, since those were the last of the 13" models with separate GPUs. The 2011+ use Intel HDXXX.

I'd try different RAM first, since it's the easiest to try, and return if it doesn't work.

Do you happen to know what model (year) yours is?

5. michaelhare thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey - thanks so much for your help. Was able to swap out the ram with that of a working unit as a test and that seemed to take care of it. Have new ram ordered now!