MacBook A1342 has gray screen after internal cleaning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ApolloBoy, Apr 28, 2015.

1. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Recently I disassembled my MacBook in order to thoroughly clean out the motherboard and redo the thermal compound, since it was starting to run pretty hot and I figured it was about time to do so. I managed to disassemble and reassemble everything just fine, but now I'm getting a gray (and sometimes white) screen with the built-in display.

I know the computer itself is fine since I'm using it with an external display now without any issues, but it would be nice to have it be useable as a laptop again. Pretty sure it's not an LVDS fault since the cable is in good condition and none of the connectors are corroded or bent. Could it be that I missed something during reassembly or have I somehow damaged a component on the logic board?

And for reference, this person on the Apple boards seems to be having the exact same issue I have: https://discussions.apple.com/message/25217019

2. ApolloBoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Just tried running AHT tonight and it didn't find anything wrong; I also tried disassembling and reassembling everything and nothing changed. Not sure what to think now.

3. ApolloBoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

So I finally had the time (and money) to get this issue resolved, I just replaced the logic board and it's working great once again. My guess is that when I disassembled the computer, I must've fried part of the logic board through a static discharge. Live and learn I suppose.