Macbook A1342 No charging. Mainboard electrical element.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by reyal, May 3, 2015.

1. reyal macrumors newbie

Hello, I have problem with charge a Macbook A1342. When I connect charger, led on plug lights a bit, but there's no charging. I disassembled Macbook, and discovered that electrical element on mainboard (marked with yellow arrow on photo) is broken. I don't have electrical schema. Can You tell me what element is this, and some detail about it?
    This element is next to 6258A chip. Model of the mainboard is 820-2567-A. Thank you for help.

[​IMG]

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Looks like either a capacitor, good luck trying to fix that though. Are you sure it's not the MagSafe port though?

3. reyal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You for answer, can You tell me some details about that capacitor? What capacity and voltage should it be?

4. Fineance macrumors member

Is your arrow pointing at the teeny tiny beige dot or the larger black chip? Knocking a single 0402 cap off of a board is not likely to affect a high power charging system. It looks to me like a decoupling capacitor - probably something like a 0402, 0.01 uF, 50V capacitor, but that is just a straight up guess. No one but Apple has access to the electrical schematics.

All of that said, positive response from the charging system (lights) without actually charging seems like a much deeper issue than simply a missing capacitor. You're not going to be repairing an electrical issue on a machine assembled board with a hand soldering iron.

Have you tried another power adapter?

5. reyal thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it points beige dot :), i bought ISL6258a chip too.
    I've got hot air station, and special thin end to soldering.
    I try on another power adapter there still wasn't chraging.

6. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Have you tried replacing the MagSafe port? It's not too hard, just undo a couple of screws and unplug it from the logic board (once the logic board has been removed of course).

7. Fineance macrumors member

The capacitor is not likely a critical component. Like I mentioned, probably a decoupling capacitor which is not mission critical. Typically, regulators use capacitors for output smoothing and such, but they are usually larger tantalum or electrolytic capacitors. The dot in the photo looks like a simple ceramic capacitor, which tells me it is probably non-critical (or, at least, would not affect charging like you mentioned).

If you are confident in which chip is doing the charging, I would start by making sure there is continuity between the MagSafe port and the chip. A simple multimeter should tell you average resistance between the pins on the chip and the pins on the MagSafe port. Perhaps you can check continuity on the entire circuit, from MagSafe to battery. That might tell you more information, or at least, tell you if there are any obvious connection issues.

8. reyal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for answer, i checked chip 6258 and its getting very hot after connection a charger.
    I didnt have much time to measure voltage on chip, but i checked is there a signal between a magsafe port and slot of magsafe port soldered on mainboard. There is a signal.

----------

No i havent, but i checked a signal and its getting through magsafe port to mainboard.

9. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

In most cases if a chip gets real hot within such a short amount of time, that means it's gone. If you're good with SMT soldering I'd suggest replacing it.