Macbook A1342 shutting off at start up (post-spill)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wallach, Oct 12, 2011.

1. wallach macrumors newbie

After a wine spill and much logic board cleaning, I've got my Macbook so it starts up (chime, system log-in screen), but then it shuts off about 15 seconds in. A couple of times I've made it past the log-in to a brief glimpse of the desktop where it asked "Are you sure you want to shut down?" then did it for me. Tried a safe start, tried it without the battery hooked up -- same results. Does this sound like a logic board issue, or something with the keyboard? (Some keys don't work, so I know the keyboard's been damaged somewhat.) Thanks.

2. ricrhys macrumors member

after a spill

I had a smilar issue with the keys not working after a spill and found that a few washes in isopropyl eventually got every key working, does the power button feel sticky at all?

3. wallach thread starter macrumors newbie

not really

Power button seems fine -- but so do the ones that don't work, so I'm not sure that indicates anything. It's not behaving like I'm holding the power button down for a hard shut down, which had occurred to me. Got the machine to work for about 15 minutes today before it died -- although every few minutes it would ask "Are you sure you want to shut down?" and I'd cancel. Wondering if reinstalling the system would help (or even be possible), if maybe something's overheating, or if it's just a matter of more spill cleanup.

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I once dripped a few drops of water on an old Macbook's (2,1 Late 2006) keyboard years ago. After that point I had to touch a key (any key) on the keyboard at least once every ~2mins or the shut down window you speak of would pop up. Then the computer would power down. I could put something heavy on the keyboard to weigh down a key and it would run for days.

I brought it in to an apple store and they replaced the logic board under warranty. I would guess its logic board/SMC related. Try an SMC reset maybe?

5. wallach thread starter macrumors newbie

same thing

I just had it up and running, but if I don't mess with it for, oh, 10 seconds the shut down window pops up. Would reinstalling the system (no loss for me except time) take care of an SMC reset, or do I need to do that separately? Thanks.

6. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

You need to do it separately. You can find instructions on your model on apple's website.

7. session101 macrumors regular

you can replace the topcase on your macbook to fix the problem, and hope that your logic board isn't where your problem is...

8. wallach thread starter macrumors newbie

topcase issue

It works fine if I just depress a key while I work (taped down the fn key, bottom left, and no shutdown problems). I've read around a little and it seems most likely a keyboard/topcase issue. Others who've had this problem have fixed it with a replacement. From ebay they cost about $70, usually from China. I'll probably give it a go.

9. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

To be fair, when I brought it into the Apple store and they diagnosed it as a logic board problem they also replaced my top case cause it was cracked.

Maybe they misdiagnosed the problem for me.

10. wallach thread starter macrumors newbie

thread closer

So I replaced the top case ($65 on eBay) and it now works fine. Not sure if the logic board was ever an issue, but I did take it out and clean it more than once, so it may have been both top case and board. So for under $100, and a whole lot of time, a working machine.